Thread: Fuel Tank

Fuel Tank

Hi,
    can anyone tell me the fuel tank capacity of a Mk3 GD please.
    I think my sender is a bit optomistic and I shore don't want to find out on a country road by running out!
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The sender, if properly set up should give you a good idea of
    the state of wether the tank is half full or empty etc.
    Will not matter what the actual tank capacity is .
    If your unsure make sure you stick a spare gallon in the boot until you
    sure.
    My tank for the SR is a 15 gallon, some were only nine and I have no idea
    on you G D tank .
    Chris.

Hi Murray,

12 Gallons, I’ve never managed to get mine to display “full” (max for me is between 3/4 and full), once it starts dropping it is accurate though.

When I first used it I emptied the tank (used the pump so a true “empty” ignoring the sloshing stuff left behind) and then filled it from 1 gallon containers just so I knew where “twitchy arse level” was on the gauge.

Cheers
    Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    Hi Murray,

12 Gallons, I’ve never managed to get mine to display “full” (max for me is between 3/4 and full), once it starts dropping it is accurate though.

When I first used it I emptied the tank (used the pump so a true “empty” ignoring the sloshing stuff left behind) and then filled it from 1 gallon containers just so I knew where “twitchy arse level” was on the gauge.

Cheers
    Jim

Don't know about capacity as mine is bespoke but due to the angled nature of the front if your sender gives a linear reading on the gauge then it will start to increase as the level drops as the lower part of tank is smaller - Hope that makes sense.

I had to swap my sender a while back and used a differnt type, it had a similar resistance range but the opposite way around (gauge read empty when full and vice-versa), to remedy this I used a device from Spiyda:

https://spiyda.com/gauge-electronics...ge-wizard.html

This corrected the gauge direction and also allowed me to make gauge read based on volume of fuel rather than level - Hope that also makes sense!

Thank you everyone, that helps and gives me an idea of when to start panicking!
    I will have a spare gallon in a can from now on, so all would not be lost.
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.