Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    436

    Using Tin-Top MAF Sensors to Balance Carbs

    I thought I'd pop up a quick post about an experiment I'm trying.

    Using the hosepipe-and-ear technique, I roughly balanced the SU carbs on my Rover V8 once I had it running but I've been thinking about something more scientific.

    As far as I can tell, the SUs don't have vacuum ports for balancing like my Weber DCOEs do and I didn't like the idea of the carb balancer(s) that you stick in the trumpets and move from carb to carb.

    So, I bought a couple of cheap used MAF sensors off ebay. I went for the "Bosch 0 280 218 119" variety because they were less than £10 each, about the right size and I could find a datasheet for them.

    Progress so far is that I've hooked them up to power (12v and ground) and a 5v reference, then used two analogue ports on an Arduino Nano to take readings and graph the MAF sensor outputs (one red, one blue).

    The units include air temperature sensors but I haven't bothered hooking those up yet.

    I thought there might be slight variations between MAF sensors, especially as they were second hand, but the graphs seem to show that they are very close indeed.

    I connected them one after the other so that they should read exactly the same and used the vacuum cleaner to simulate a few "pulls".

    I just need my flywheel back from the workshop now so that I can start the engine again and try this in anger.



    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~~~~~
    Sumo Mk3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Finchampstead, Berkshire, UK.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,870
    Nice idea! Soon have you off those old carbs and fitting MAP sensors, trigger wheels etc

    How are you fitting the to the carb trumpets?

    Rgds
    Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    436
    I'm going to design an adapter tonight that mounts onto the carb and 3D print it tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    436
    Although the 2.8mm female spade connectors I used for my proof of concept fitted, they weren't very neat or easy to disconnect.

    I took a risk and bought connectors that weren't the same part number as the datasheet above suggested because they were much cheaper.

    These are what I bought for "only" £7 each, delivered, and they fitted perfectly: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143012105745

    Title is "Genuine Bosch Compact Series 5 Way Female Connector Kit With Terminals & Seals" and contains:

    1 x Housing: 1928403738
    5 x Terminals: 1928498056
    5 x Seals: 1928300599

    I think you're supposed to use a pukka crimping tool for these terminals, but I got away with a generic spade connector tool.

    Last edited by skinnymathew; 30-10-21 at 08:32 PM.
    ~~~~~~
    Sumo Mk3

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •