Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! Range Rover owners.. mine is broke and I can't fix it..

So I'm asking here because the RRS forum is pretty devoid of help at the moment :/ the RRS is refusing to start with a christmas tree of warning lights - it turns over fine but doesn't fire and there's no fuel coming out of the injectors.

The faults are a litany of CAN bus communications failures so it's pretty clear that something on the CAN bus is taking it down, but given a fault on anything can affect everything that doesn't really narrow it down. But:

VIN SALLSAA23AA232847
    Model L320 - Range Rover Sport 2010
    Vehicle scanned on 20 Oct 2021 18:09:00
    IIDControl 3.0.0 Build 84 Android - IIDTool BT V4.0 B2691

ATCM-Terrain Response

U0139-00 (2F) Lost communication with the suspension control module B
    ( on 20-10-2021 18:07:59 at 185626 km )

BCM-Body Control

U0139-00 (2F) Lost communication with the suspension control module B
    ( on 20-10-2021 18:08:00 at 185626 km )

IPC-Instrument Pack

U0104-00 (2F) Lost communication with speed control module
    ( on 20-10-2021 18:08:05 at 185626 km )

U0133-00 (2F) Lost communication with dynamic response module

U0139-08 (2F) Lost communication with the suspension control module B - General failure information - bus signal/message failure

RLM-Suspension

U0133-00 (2F) Lost communication with dynamic response module
    ( on 20-10-2021 18:08:11 at 185626 km )

Common faults are the TCCM, but that was moved for the 2010 TDV8 and no longer collects water with a bucket, so it's not the usual corroded terminals problem as far as I can tell.
    Another common fault is the brake light switch, so I've changed that.
    New battery.
    Unplugged and contact cleanered every connector I can find.

But here's the weird one .. and it's a long shot but maybe someone here has a Range Rover with a TDV8 (or any diesel probably!) and the GAP diagnostics tool:

Battery voltage at the engine ECU is reporting as 5v, which seems weird and every other ECU reports the actual battery voltage. But I don't know what the expected value is .. so it's a long shot but does anyone here have a car and the diag tool so they could check? Or even a local RRS I can plug into...
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Yeah, I've plugged in my diagnostic tool into my RS-232 port and it says:
    'Dump it and never buy another 'Spirit of Leyland' car again'.

You're welcome. You know I'm right.
    Invoice's in the post.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

11.8V is a pretty dead battery voltage, jump leads from a running car and see if there’s a difference?
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

This might or might not be of interest but lots of vehicles seem to throw up these kind of faults.
    I have just recently had a bucket load of these kind of faults with my 2008 my Focus, the wife
    told me while driving, the chimes started and loads of warnings came up saying reduced speed
    PAS faults etc etc although the car as she thought was still running ok and carried on for the
    last few miles cautiously.
    She was quite happy with this and didn't go into panic mode, these kind of problems that show
    up on a lot vehicles will put the fear of God into people with a nervous disposition.
    She knows the basics and would stop the car and get out if there was something like burning or
    petrol smells .
    Cutting this as short as possible, these kind of faults can be expensive but not necessarily, as long
    as you are patient and are not under time pressures.
    The Focus did sometimes fail to crank the engine on occasions and was fixed by removing the neg battery
    terminal for a few seconds then reconnect.
    I do have one of those obd11 scanners that reset the engine light but only if you have corrected the
    issues, you can also do this with a lap top.
    Anyway, going back to what the fault turned out to be was showing as communications issues which
    was caused by dry joints in the instrument cluster pins .
    I removed cluster and re-soldered all of the pins, this cost me a whole hour to do the complete job
    and saved me 500 quid for the price of what would've have a new unit.
    Not saying this is your issue but it could be worth a thought that's if you are confident with taking
    a cluster to bits and soldering.
    I think the dry joints are caused by poor manufacturing and coupled up with vibrations .
    Best of luck.
    Chris.

Also good to check that battery is good and fully charged as previously mentioned.

Every time I try to write out a long reply now.. I get a 500 Server Error. Trying a short one.

Ok, that worked. So.. a full battery and/or jump leads made no odds.

Seems like something is pulling the internal supply voltage down to 5V, but I haven't got a working car to see what normal is.. I was vaguely hoping someone might have a JLR product to compare results with

On a previous XC90 it went in to limp mode and gave 3 error codes, I have the Volvo diagnostic and went though the 3 codes all seemed fine. But couldn't find the fault. Went into Volvo it was the air intake pre heater nackered but this doesn't have a fault code but the Volvo techs know the it's on the same loop as the other 3 codes so if they see all 3 of them they though experience know what it is. So be aware multiple codes can be red herrings.

Yeah they're definitely red herrings - well, almost definitely. That's the problem with diagnosing CANBUS problems To make it harder, you can't just unplug modules until the problem goes away because some modules are 'dangling' (these you can unplug, like unplugging a USB device) but others are 'in line' - if you unplug those it splits the CANBUS into two halves.

Naturally all the important ECUs are in line .. and it's usually one of those that's choked on the RRS. Trouble is, JLR fixed the common one (which used to fill with water!) by moving it and turning it the other way up.. so I'm left with the harder to find ones.

It's looking like I'll be borrowing my parents Micra to take them to my wedding (Dad won't be up to driving 1.5hrs each way only 10 days after a round of chemo, I don't think!)

(Had to fire up a VPN to change my IP address to be able to post from my laptop again ffs!)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I have an old R reg 4.5 RR that has occasional gremlins in the electrics. Most of them seem to revolve relays either failing or being sensitive to applied voltage. If they dont get a full 12 volds they seem to sulk and send all sorts of spurious messages to the system. Check voltage,battery and look for current loss through insulation cracks.
    Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast