Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to it all

New to it all

Just purchased my first Cobra Kit car this week, how do I identify what kit it is from?

The VIN number may give you a hint but if you post some pictures, especially of the chassis around the front suspension and the body shape around the wheel arches, someone here will be able to tell you with a high degree of certainty

(Easiest way to post pictures, IMHO, is to upload them somewhere like https://imgbb.com/ and then paste the "BB Code" in here)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

welcome (name? )

Is it a complete, registered car or just body/chassis and unregistered?

As Aaron says can you post some pics up of it that should hopefully assist in identification

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

It would.of been better to have posted photos before buying as the values do vary on manufacturers.
    Welcome to the clan of cobra owners.
    Some photos of the chassis ,engine bay and interior will give us a chance to I.d. the manufacture. The more photos the better .
    Hopefully it is not registered as a Jaguar or Daimler but as a cobra manufacturer on the V5c.

I had bought it at auction and at the timeof posting yestaerday had not seen it

It is registered as an AC Cobra on the log book

the previous owner advised me that it was a Pilgrim

Does it say "AC Cobra" on the log book or something like "Pilgrim AC COBRA"? if its the former than you may have bought an incorrectly registered car. This can be resolved, but may not be simple, or cheap, to do so.

Tell us the exact wording on the log book, it may be ok. But please bare in mind that if you bought it remotely & via an auction you may have some consumer protection in place.

It says AC Cobra on the log book

It is incorrectly registered. This means it may pass every MOT for 30 years, but if one tester has a bad day and says - "this car is not an AC Cobra as described" you have a car that cannot be used, just like a ringer.

If bought remotely at auction I think you have 14 days to return the car under the consumer contracts act. Also, the car is also almost certainly "not as described", meaning you can return it under the consumer rights act. Unless they explicitly said it was a kit car/pilgrim registered as an AC Cobra... and even then...

The auction house will have seen this before, and will probably just take the car back into the next auction.

I am not saying the car is worthless, I am not saying the issue cant be resolved. But If you aren't confident about sorting it, I would think twice about keeping the car.

I'm quite happy with it, it came with 12 months MOT and next year it is MOT excempt

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast