Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AK fuel Gauge fluctuating reading

Hi guys.
    My 2021 AK fuel gauge fluctuates a lot, and I mean a lot.
    It also doesn't read that accurate either.
    which is just annoying.

Smiths flight gauges, and standard fuel gauge sender. TBA9010-000

Their is a video on you tube showing a similar issue even though the video is 5 years old.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hfBy1_0TXY

Has anyone come up with a way to prevent this.
    Maybe a voltage regulator on the fuel gauge.

Or fit a different type of fuel sender so that it doesn't flop about in the tank so much.
    If so which type ?? something like the vertical float type ? rather than the arm and float.

Maybe re-position the fuel sender in the tank, should it face with the arm backwards or across the tank.
    There are baffle's in the tank from what can gather.

Thanks
    Mike H

Hi Spyder do a gauge wizard that you can programme and has anti slosh settings? https://spiyda.com/fuel-gauge-wizard-mk3.html

I put a Spyda wizard on mine, simple enough to do.

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

I changed my standard float sender for a VDO dip tube type and it’s hardly any better than before - needle moves around too much - certainly not useable in any case. My next plan is to fit a Spyda as there are lots of good results reported on here.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Did you fit the solid state regulator as well ? as the Video on youtube showing the smiths 52mm gauges recommends a voltage regulator.

Smiths Flight Fuel Gauge - YouTube

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike, I’m using Speedhut gauges so not the same setup as you. I don’t believe these should need voltage stabilisation but you have given me new route for investigation. I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike424u View Post
    Did you fit the solid state regulator as well ? as the Video on youtube showing the smiths 52mm gauges recommends a voltage regulator.

Smiths Flight Fuel Gauge - YouTube

Thanks Mike
    I don’t have Flight gauges fitted, so cannot answer your question as to what type of VS you need. I was advised however not to run more than three mechanical gauges through one thermal ( Bi-metal ) voltage stabiliser.

The fuel gauge on my AK was also erratic and inaccurate. The needle was not flickering like the one on the video, but basically all over the place. So at first I tried just installing a Spiyda Wizzard, retaining the original floating arm sender and Smiths fuel gauge. Having calibrated the Wizzard, the gauge was a lot more accurate when the car was stationary, but again the needle was all over the place on the move, which was obviously being caused by fuel slosh effecting the float type sender.

So the sender unit was swapped for a VDO dip tube sender, and the gauge was swapped for a compatible Smiths Fuel gauge, and the “Anti slosh setting (Needle damping) on the Spiyda set to max, and now the gauge is nice and steady and accurate, except I have recently noticed an anomaly with my new setup. When I turn on the ignition, without starting the engine, the needle slowly rises and then settles once the level is reached. Then when I turn the key and start the engine, the needle bombs right over to the right, past the full level, and disappears. The needle then slowly re-appears and gradually settles at about 1/4 tank lower than when just the ignition was on.

So I now need to look into why this is happening, because I don’t know which reading to believe and need to check if the voltage stabiliser I have is compatible with the new gauge.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Interesting, take a look at the video's for the spiyda wizzard on youtube, some very interesting stuff, and you can set by ohms rather than make or model etc. I had a message from Holdens ref: voltage stabiliser, they say I should fit one.
    https://www.holden.co.uk/search/voltage%20stabilisers
    But I also had a message from Spiyda who said I don't need a voltage stabiliser.
    So I'm going to try just the spiyda set up with the standard smiths flight gauge and fuel gauge sender. TBA9010-000 which is what AK supply as standard.
    If I still get problems then I will also fit a voltage stabiliser.

Spiyda is a good bit of kit. Bit of a fiddle to set but works really well. With a bit of effort I got my gauge very accurate and you can take the slosh out as well.

I had a message from Holdens ref: voltage stabiliser, they say I should fit one.
    You need to check with the manufacturer if your gauge needs to run through a VS, and if so what type .The Spiyda module should only be run from a 12v Ign switched supply and not through any type of VS ,as they have a built in one . Thermal type voltage stabilisers are usually stamped with the word "Top" and need to be mounted in the correct orientation in order to work accurately.

Once i have found the receipt and info/model number for my new gauge and sender ,(which i have lost) , i am going to contact Caerbont to double check whether my gauge is happy to run through a thermal VS or whether they recommend a solid state VS.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast