Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Newbie

Another Newbie

Hi All

I’ve been researching the different kits and after having a chat with Jon from AK at the Classic Car Show, have decided that’s where my hard earned is going to go. The deal with my wife is that I have to finish the house first, so ot will be next summer when I can get my kit.

I’m looking at the rolling chassis option to save time and the reconditioning work of the Jag parts. For those that have gone the same route, how long did it take you to do the rest of the car?

Cheers

Duncan

3 1/2 years. There are good days and bad days ahead but the end product is pretty darned good. IMHO AK offer the best looking car and their support during the build process and after is excellent. good luck!
    AK Gen 2 with LS1

SE UKCC Area Rep

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of the AC Cobra replica.

I have an AK but I had the chassis and body and fitted the suspension etc and engine myself. I took delivery of the chassis and body in November 2016 and I had the car IVA'd in February 2019.

However, I did start my journey in June 2014 when I started the rebuild of the Rover V8 and the reconditioning of the Jag parts etc. So in total just over 4 1/2 years.

John, Wendy and the Team at AK are excellent and always willing to help with your questions and advice. I can't fault them.

Enjoy the build and then enjoy driving.

All the best

Rob
    Rob

AK Gen I - 4.6l Rover V8, Stage III heads, MC1 cam
    On the road March 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
    Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of the AC Cobra replica.

I have an AK but I had the chassis and body and fitted the suspension etc and engine myself. I took delivery of the chassis and body in November 2016 and I had the car IVA'd in February 2019.

However, I did start my journey in June 2014 when I started the rebuild of the Rover V8 and the reconditioning of the Jag parts etc. So in total just over 4 1/2 years.

John, Wendy and the Team at AK are excellent and always willing to help with your questions and advice. I can't fault them.

Enjoy the build and then enjoy driving.

All the best

Rob
    Similar situation when I built my SR, with RV8 and Jag running gear although this was pre SVA days .
    Started in 93, registered in 97, that year we moved house so lots going on and was working away
    from home during these years.
    I was fortunate that I could do bit of cleaning etc etc when there was down time with my work,
    the work was either full on or full off in my case and usually could source cleaning tanks, presses,
    welding equipment etc .
    So when at home I would be basically bolting every thing on that was previously prepared and therefore
    for me I didn't feel under pressure with my project, after all this is leasure time .
    The paint work was carried out at Thunder Road Cars (the old gunpowder factory) Enfield over twenty
    years ago and is still spot on .
    I can vertually garanteed you will enjoy the end result,
    all the best,
    Chris.

One year for me which according to my diary was about 347 hours of work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan36 View Post
    Hi All

I’ve been researching the different kits and after having a chat with Jon from AK at the Classic Car Show, have decided that’s where my hard earned is going to go. The deal with my wife is that I have to finish the house first, so ot will be next summer when I can get my kit.

I’m looking at the rolling chassis option to save time and the reconditioning work of the Jag parts. For those that have gone the same route, how long did it take you to do the rest of the car?

Cheers

Duncan
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Thanks for all your replies. I like Charlie’s timeframe best lol.

I’ve built quite a few race cars (some from kit form), so the mechanics side should be ok, but the interior is something I’ve never had to worry about before.

I’m unsure of the look I’d like to go for, but guess I have a year or two to decide. I love the classic blue with white stripes, but also the modern look AK achieved with Apple. The motor I’ve decided on will be an LS3, as I like the idea of mating the old with the new and they seem pretty bulletproof.

Thanks again

I forgot to ask. When I registered the email confirmation email went to my spam box and promptly disappeared, so I’m limited in terms of forum membership. I found an admin on another post and sent them a PM, but it may have been an old account, as they hadn’t posted for a while and didn’t reply. Can anyone point me in the direction of who to speak to?

Hi Duncan,

Admin is my bag

Your profile is fine, but you may end up in a waiting Q if you post links or pics (I think it’s post count of 10 before that goes).

Cheers

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

That’s great, thanks Jim 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan36 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I like Charlie’s timeframe best lol.

I’ve built quite a few race cars (some from kit form), so the mechanics side should be ok, but the interior is something I’ve never had to worry about before.

I’m unsure of the look I’d like to go for, but guess I have a year or two to decide. I love the classic blue with white stripes, but also the modern look AK achieved with Apple. The motor I’ve decided on will be an LS3, as I like the idea of mating the old with the new and they seem pretty bulletproof.

Thanks again
    I went with the blue and white stripes, although the stripes are done in Jag off white colour.
    As previously mentioned, I am still pleased with the result twenty odd years on .
    Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast