RAM footwell space

Hi all - Having built and disposed of a Dax 7 years ago, I chanced upon what looks like a very good RAM at a decent price, which got me thinking about getting one again. I looked it all over and was very happy with the condition and then I sat in it.....Unlike the Dax there was much less room, especially in the footwell. At 6'2" tall my left knee was wedged up against the steering wheel, meaning I cannot move my foot off the clutch without a good degree of discomfort. This in turn hampers my use of the brake pedal as my two feet are jammed together. This wasn't an issue in the Dax and I'm not that tall anyway. Is this a problem with certain makes of cobra? Is there anything I can realistically do as otherwise I would have bought it? (Seat won't go back further, can't make the steering wheel any smaller...)
    Thanks all,
    (disappointed) Gopper

I guess the tube chassis of the RAM probably shrinks the footwell some? Though I sat in a GD once and remember that as being very roomy in comparison to the Dax, and that also has a tube chassis.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Yes, one of the disadvantages of the Ram is the giant backbone of the chassis. It impinges on the interior from front to back. I've considered replacing the tunnel with something smaller and removable since the existing moulding is very generous. Having said that, I don't think you could actually increase the bottom of the footwell; it is surrounded by chassis.
    Last edited by mylesdw; 23-11-21 at 06:12 PM.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Myles - you could stick the tunnel moulding on the inside of the chassis even, like the original XCS demonstrator had (from memory) .. that way you can see the lovely chassis and your feet stay dry in the rain
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

That's great, thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just have to find a cobra with a chassis that isn't quite so restrictive (and therefore possibly as safe)

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Yes, one of the disadvantages of the Ram is the giant backbone of the chassis. It impinges on the interior from front to back. I've considered replacing the tunnel with something smaller and removable since the existing moulding is very generous. Having said that, I don't think you could actually increase the bottom of the footwell; it is surrounded by chassis.