Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LS3 6.2 Oil filter cross ref parts number

Hi all
    Looking for cross reference part number.

2020 crate 6.2 LS3 engine oil filter, road craft info says use an AC PF48 does anyone have any other makes cross reference numbers.

K&N etc. Best place to get a deal on them as well.

As my local motor factors, are a bit thick and keep asking me for my Reg number, which wouldn't do them any good.

Also any one know what the ali sump is from as fitted to the crate engine, supplied from AK, as I believe the original sump was pressed steel

This information came from roadcraft, These engines are now supplied with the Chevy SS oil pan and exhaustmanifolds rather than the Corvette items shown.

Thanks

I have the later pf48e filters on the shelf and it’s the corvette oil pan that’s fitted. The camaro ss pan is much deeper and gives far less ground clearance.

They were all cast aluminium though never steel.

I have some of each here you could look at for reference.

Anthony.

Anthony
    Yes I have seen PF48E filters advertised, but wanted to check before going down that road, I sure didn't want to fit the wrong one. The comments I came across, said the PF48E has a different pressure relief v/v in it,
    Same 3/4 thread size etc, and is the replacement for the PF48, That was on the AC Delco page, K&N HP-1017 seems to be a match, just needed to double check I'm going for the right one.
    As the original AC PF48 are still around, I will stick with it for now.
    Will check in with you regard's sumps, As I need to work out what the thread is in the sump temp sensor, which I need to remove to fit a smiths sender, which is 1/8 NPT so will need to get a reducing bush. M20 or 1/2 BSP at guess.

Thank you for you help.

No probs. The pf48e filter is the latest filter design and is supplied on all new current ls3 crate engines either corvette or camaro spec.

if you go to www.rockauto.com and search for PF48 or PF48E it will provide you with a list of alternatives.

Got my new LS3 in May and it came with the PF48E. I ordered a load of filters from Summit racing so have about 6 of them hanging around.

It also came with the SS oilpan as standard. Again I got a corvette oil pan from Summit which had the oil temp sender mounting on the oil filter housing. I drilled and tapped it for the temp sender that came with the ETB gauges I had. I think they are standard VDO temp senders used for both oil and water - easy enough to fit with a small dab of thread sealer.

Pics of the parts I mean if it helps....

20210925_145604_resized.jpg

20210925_150747_resized.jpg

Thanks for your info, my sump already has a sensor sender fitted in it, no idea what type it is, but I intend to remove it, and fit a reducing type bush, then fit the standard smiths sender witch is 1/8 NPT 20211129_183807.jpg 20211129_184233.jpg Anyone recognise the sender thats fitted and what size thread it is, will save me time ordering one once its removed.
    Thanks

Hi Mike,

So my engine came new from Brian at Roadcraft in May of this year....it came fitted with the PF48E filter and not the PF48 which Brian has on the paperwork you will get if you bought the engine from there. My engine was fitted with the same oil pan as yours along with the combined temp sender and oil level indicator. All LS oilpans have the oil level/temp sender fitted.

There is a potential ground clearance problem (certainly on my GD and most likely others too) which required getting the shallower Corvette Oil pan. If you get this part, it will come with the same oil level indicator in the oil pan as you currently have but will most likely have the different oil cooler cover fitting shown in my previous post which can be drilled and tapped to suit the normal brass temp fittings. It took me less then 10 mins to drill and tap to the correct size and fit the sender.

A couple of things to note are the LS oilpans are a structural part of the engine design and give increased strength to the casting. They also need to be positioned carefully when replaced to make sure that they are square to the back of the engine block otherwise when the bellhousing bolts are tightened they can crack either the bellhousing or the oilpan. When I replaced mine I fitted the bell housing, removed the old oilpan and replaced with the new one making sure it was tight against the bellhousing before installing the oilpan bolts. Its really simple to do.

The other thing I was made aware of was that once the engine is operating and the pickup has sucked up the oil and circulated it around the engine, the standard LS temp sender is not in the oil anymore. The guys on the LStech forum prefer to install the temp sender in the oil filter bypass cover (its not a filter bypass but cant think what its called right now!) where it is subjected to a constant flow of hot oil giving a more reliable indication for temp.

If you go for the Corvette Oil Pan the part number is 12624617,
    the oil pick you will need is
    and the oil seal you will need is

You may need the dipstick and dipstick tube ( I didnt) and they are: 12570787 and 12570788

Last edited by justinb; 30-11-21 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added more info

Wow that's really good information, My sump sure is low, But I do have sump guard ready to fit as well.
    I will certainly look into lower corvette oil pan. And having the part numbers helps big time.
    My LS3 came from Roadcraft. And the sump was changed from the original, maybe by AK, I'm not really sure. I have no paper work to show what sump has been fitted.
    I will take some measurements to try compare it.
    Thank you for all the information
    Mike H

No problem Mike, happy to help.

Didn't realise your sump had been changed already. Its possible it already has the corvette one in that case as I believe most manufacturers change them to get the ground clearance.
    I spent time pondering what to so Im happy to share any info to make others lives easier! I clearly spend too much time researching, overthinking, worrying then going back to basics!

Because Im sad, I found a website where someone had done all the comparisons on the various LS oilpans available including diagrams with dimensions on them and capacities so you can get the right one. The PF48E for example shold be the correct filter for the LS3 and it relates to an internal pressure relief valve to prevent overpressuring above 55 lbs I think and is done for cars with the DoD Displacement on Demand system whereby the lifters pressurise to shut down 4 cylinders to save fuel.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/threa...f-them.208618/

Shit...my OCD is getting the better of me now....
    Last edited by justinb; 30-11-21 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast