Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transmission tunnel seat belt mounting point

Hi All,

I'm looking at my Sumo chassis and I have the mounting lug on the outside edge for the seatbelt buckle. However I'm struggling for the transmission side mounting point. How have others secured their seat belts to the transmission tunnel? I've looked at the build manual and it refers me to section 3 with photos of the chassis but i cant make it out. You'll have to excuse me if this has been asked before.

Many thanks in advance

Russell

My mk2 has predrilled holes with doubler plates welded in on the tranny tunnel for the inner seatbelt mounts - went through the IVA with no issue just over 2 years ago. I assume the later cars would be similar?

Hi,

My chassis doesnt appear to have those holes in the transmission tunnel. It also doesn't have the flutes pressed into the floor pans or additional holes to tweak the rear wheel camber angle for some reason. I brought it when it when Pilgrim was transitioning from Den (the second time round) to the new current owners. I've attached a photo showing the lack of holes from when I first received it from Pilgrim.
    P1010441.JPG
    You don't happen to have any photos of your mounting point so I can see what I need to retro fit?

Russell,

As far as I am aware Pilgrim only ever had a single mounting hole for the inboard pivot of the rear trailing arm on the Sumo. The three holes, spaced vertically, for the outer pivot were to provide some adjustment for the rear camber (and toe).

The location of the fixing point for the seat belt, on the transmission tunnel, will vary depending on the fitted position of the seats and should be reinforced using a spreader plate - usually with a 7/16" UNF fixing - on the transmission side.

Never seen a floor without the flutes before so can't help with that, good luck with the build

Hope this helps,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Unfortunately my mk2 is/was Cortina based and now converted to Sierra, so my set up won’t help any. Before I converted mine I spoke with Mark at Pilgrim and he sent me some photos of a mk3 chassis they had at their works - might be worth a call to explain where you need a bit of guidance - once you can talk to Mark he’s super helpful.

Hi All,

Thank you for all your replies about the seat belt mounting point. I've finally got in the garage to have have another look.

As you say I need to get the seats in and then suss the mounting position out from there. I was looking in the seat belt instructions and some cars (Peugeot 205) have a rail instead of a fixed point, has anyone gone down the route before?

Its a great idea to ring Pilgrim for advice as they are always putting cars through the IVA test.

I also had look for the extra holes on the outer side radius arm mounting point but they just don't exist on mine. Possibly a Friday special

Cant help im afraid as not at that stage yet but my Mk3 chassis is exactly the same as yours; no internal seat belt mounting hole/reinforcement and no flutes running down the floor pan. Will be interested to see your outcome.
    Building a Mk3 Sumo - Rover 3.5

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

This is what I did, passed SVA OK.

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/sho...paint2/cat/500

I think I put a spreader plate on the outboard side, although a fat penny washer would have been fine as the load is transmitted through the box section of the frame.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.
    My Gallery: http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/3240/username/kevinw

Hi All,

Thank you for all your replies. I thought I would post a couple of photos of my solution regarding the inner transmission mount. I used Kevins idea and put the fixing through the box section and then put a harness stress plate on the inside of the transmission tunnel to thread the bolt into.

20211223_195428.jpg
    20211223_195457.jpg

Im hoping that the IVA inspector will be happy with this solution, and that it will be useful to another Sumo builder. Fingers crossed

- just make sure you have the right bolt ... 7/16 UNF I think ..... not sure how forcefully this is enforced but best safe than sorry.

Best of luck with it.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.
    My Gallery: http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/3240/username/kevinw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast