Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    1,955

    How do O Rings stop oil leaks?

    Hi, Looking for assistance to clear my thinking on O ring seals. The problem I have is trying to seal the adapter plate, which replaces the Filter Bracket Assembly on the 1UZ engine, to allow the use of a remote filter.

    The standard 1UZ Filter Bracket Assembly mates to a flat face on the engine and uses a gasket to seal the flow & return orifices. The gasket is in the shape of an "8" with a hole for the flow and a separate hole for the return in the same gasket. The adapter plate, which allows the fitment of a remote filter (see picture), has separate annular grooves around each orifice and came with rubber O rings. There has been a slight weep of oil from the joint between the adapter plate and the engine since it was first run so I decided to try and stop it by fitting new O rings.


    The adapter plate was bought via an internet auction site and the vendor is unfortunately no longer traceable so no information on the size or nature of the O rings was available. After some research on how O rings work I bought O rings of the nearest suitable size (see picture for details) and fitted them with only a smear of vaseline to hold them in position during the fitting of the adapter plate. You will probably already have guessed the outcome - the leak is worse than before & I am now questioning my "understanding" of how an O ring works.

    Can any one advise what size O ring is required to seal a flat surface to an annular groove measuring 2.96 mm wide by 1.32 mm deep and also whether any additional sealant material should be used.


    As always any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received.

    Ian











    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,510
    Does the adapter have a manufacturers name on it? Try them direct? Lexus owners club or forum may help??

    Also If the leak is coming through the bolt holes try dowry seals under the bolt heads.

    Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

    cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    1,955
    Lee,

    Thanks for the reply. No unfortunately not, I think the adapter plates were made by a number of small manufacturing operations and I have seen numerous examples all broadly similar. Fairly sure the leak is emanating from the joint between the adapter plate and engine but good idea to seal the bolts, thank you.


    Take care,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,058
    No exact match here but it looks like about 1.8mm dia maybe? https://www.allorings.com/o-ring-groove-design-metric

    Groove dimensions are very specific in theory .. I think in practice most places just make one "about right"!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,510
    I've used speedflow who helped me with my take off plate when I had O ring issues, I think you may have to keep buying similar size O rings from suppliers that specifically deal with one's that can handle the temperatures of hot oil. The diameter of the holes is not an issue but the diameter of the ring is key sealing the orifices. Try till you seal I'm afraid!
    Good luck
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

    cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Bridgwater, Somerset
    Posts
    87
    Not sure if this will help you or not, its just an example, But here is a link to an oil cooler adapter which bolts to my engine block LS3 type
    LR Oil Cooler Adapter For Corvette C5 C6 C7 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 GM Camaro 843401102900 | eBay
    I'm guessing your looking for similar thing, This one seals with a gasket.
    LR Oil Cooler Adapter For Corvette C5 C6 C7 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 GM CK 99-07 BK 843401102900 | eBay

    Maybe you can find an adaptor that uses a gasket if your not having any joy with O rings.

    As for o-ring size, you should be able to work out the correct size from the grove depth and width,

    you might need to check if you need metric or imperial
    Parker O-Ring Selector / Calculator

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    No exact match here but it looks like about 1.8mm dia maybe? https://www.allorings.com/o-ring-groove-design-metric

    Groove dimensions are very specific in theory .. I think in practice most places just make one "about right"!
    Aaron,

    Good find thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    I've used speedflow who helped me with my take off plate when I had O ring issues, I think you may have to keep buying similar size O rings from suppliers that specifically deal with one's that can handle the temperatures of hot oil. The diameter of the holes is not an issue but the diameter of the ring is key sealing the orifices. Try till you seal I'm afraid!
    Good luck

    Lee, thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike424u View Post
    Not sure if this will help you or not, its just an example, But here is a link to an oil cooler adapter which bolts to my engine block LS3 type
    LR Oil Cooler Adapter For Corvette C5 C6 C7 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 GM Camaro 843401102900 | eBay
    I'm guessing your looking for similar thing, This one seals with a gasket.
    LR Oil Cooler Adapter For Corvette C5 C6 C7 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 GM CK 99-07 BK 843401102900 | eBay

    Maybe you can find an adaptor that uses a gasket if your not having any joy with O rings.

    As for o-ring size, you should be able to work out the correct size from the grove depth and width,

    you might need to check if you need metric or imperial
    Parker O-Ring Selector / Calculator
    Mike, Plenty food for thought there, thank you



    Thank you all for the suggestions & information, much appreciated.

    Take care,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,510
    Btw Ian, read your install with admiration, great work what a bloody shame a couple of £1 O rings are causing you this!!


    Cheers, Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

    cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    9,762
    My sympathies with the oil leak - I had a similar issue with my Ford FE remote take off plate and the hoses, which on initial drive out sprayed oil onto my nice white headers fine on tickover and revved, but less so when under load. Perhaps I was lucky to avoid a fire. Took me ages to sort out the leaks.

    Not sure if this is relevant, but the take-off casting on the side of my block wasn't flat. I used an old mirror, lots of water and wet'n'dry to ensure it was perfectly flat. I also had to have a couple of goes at making different paper gaskets of different thicknesses and checking everything was torqued in the right order and to correct specification. Still leaked a bit, and then virtually stopped.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

    Not listed in the Shelby Register.
    My Gallery: http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/3240/username/kevinw

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Btw Ian, read your install with admiration, great work what a bloody shame a couple of £1 O rings are causing you this!!


    Cheers, Lee

    15p actually - not that it makes a huge difference. Thank you for the comment and yes it is a shame, not to mention immensely frustrating.

    Take care,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •