1UZ Oil Leak - Remote Filter Adapter

Hi,

As you may have seen under previous thread I have been troubled by an oil leak from the adapter plate, fitted in place of the standard 1UZ Filter Bracket Assembly, to allow a remote oil filter to be connected. After replacing the O-rings with no change I have now traced the problem to a misalignment between the machining of the adapter plate and the oil holes in the engine.

You can see from the attached pictures that the misalignment is not what I would call marginal but a clear manufacturing error. Unfortunately the adapter plate was purchased way back at the start of the 1UZ transplant saga and no trace of the vendor can now be found. Can anyone recommend a source for the adapter plate for the 1UZ engine.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Take care
    Ian

Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

A quick fix would be to make a paper gasket and use a smear of sealant. Bin the o-rings.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Type this into eBay

Lexus Toyota 1UZ 2UZ 3UZ Oil Filter Relocation Plate Adaptor CNC Flange

Is this any better or is it the same??

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Type this into eBay

Lexus Toyota 1UZ 2UZ 3UZ Oil Filter Relocation Plate Adaptor CNC Flange

Is this any better or is it the same??

Lee

Lee,

I have checked this one and indications are that it should fit, currently have an offer waiting for acceptance.

Thanks for the response,

Ian

I tried most of the adaptor plates on the market when I was installing mine. In the end I made my own by modifying the standard lexus oil filter manifold. I basically cut it down and welded 2 an10 weldons. It works great and spreads the load at the matching face more evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by alunwill View Post
    I tried most of the adaptor plates on the market when I was installing mine. In the end I made my own by modifying the standard lexus oil filter manifold. I basically cut it down and welded 2 an10 weldons. It works great and spreads the load at the matching face more evenly.
    Alun,

Thanks for the reply & suggestion. I have a replacement adapter on order and will update this thread when I have tried it. Good idea to use the OEM filter attachment, I think I still have the one that came off so will keep that handy - just in case!

Take care,
    Ian

Well we all live and learn - yet another school day.

Received the new adapter plate which I was assured had been used by many others without a problem. Just to be sure I applied engineers blue to the mating face and bolted it on to the engine. Admittedly it was not as bad as the previous adapter plate but a long way from being a precision bit of machining as I had been assured.

This is where you live and learn as, on the previous post relating to the leaking O rings, Phil (philbrad73) had suggested that I could ". . .slot the holes" to allow the plate to be moved into alignment with the mounting face on the engine.

My only consolation is that the new adapter plate is now accurately aligned with the oil ports in the engine and needed much less adjustment than the first adapter plate would have required. Another advantage (the discerning will be able to detect a slight need to justify the purchase of a new marginally better adapter plate) is that the new adapter has larger glands allowing the use of larger (in cross section terms) O rings which should give a better seal.

So the only thing left to do is to fit the adapter plate, reconnect the oil lines - without getting a oil shower this time hopefully - and check for leaks.

Thanks to all to who responded and especially to Phil - I'll listen next time!

The first adapter plate was misaligned to the engine oil ports:

The New adapter plate was better but still not accurately aligned:

After slotting the mounting holes the alignment was much improved: