Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine swap

Engine swap

Hi, in my car ATM I have a v6 cologne with under slung pipes, it has a lovely growl and it's a pleasure to drive. When I bought the car l found that it has heritage status so tax free and no MOT (although I do have it done for peace of mind) I see that as a good bonus.
    If I change the engine what would I have to do DVLA wise etc.
    Also cost wise is the rover v8 the cost effective option.
    Regards Alistair

What chassis do you have ? You have a budget in mind. Factor in the gearbox and prop shaft replacement and clutch.
    If you already have a Rover and gearbox you have a large portion of the budget covered. You will need to update DVLA with engine and number . Age of the engine and watch emissions.

It's a mk3 sumo. No I hadn't considered a budget yet I'm just thinking thoughts 🤔
    Can you elaborate on the Emissions

Sure it’s a mk3 with a cologne?

either way, I’ve done a mk2 cologne to rv8 swap. It’s a fair bit of work, and cash. Make sure you really like the car..

engine mounts, headers (side pipes?), fuel pump, dials (if yours can’t be adjusted), wiring (carb or injection?), radiator, coolant system, header tank, prop. Maybe brakes - but my Capri vented disks and callipers were man enough.

2-300 bhp - rv8 is tried and tested in a sumo, is the obvious choice, and quite light start with a 4.6, far easier than tuning a 3.5. Will keep up with a Chevy unless it’s had proper money chucked at it.

300-400bhp+ (You will need diff and chassis mods at 400+) Chevy v8 are heavy and the bell housing & box need to be checked to see if they’ll clear (mk3 is factory option so should be ok, mk2 isn’t). Gearbox’s are expensive, tuning bits are too.

LS and Ford lumps, are proper money, and doubtful fit and probably not what you would put in a sumo.

lexus v8 is an interesting choice, very reliable & cheapish, it’s the new rover v8, the drifting boys love them so lots of bolt on bits now.

You will need to variety the age and emissions of the engine you select so the V5c is changed accordingly to avoid future issues at the MOT..
    As Alex has pointed out there are lots of other items to consider which you need to budget in. Your first consideration should be how much you want to invest. How much of the work you will.carry out yourself or hand the work to a garage . Costs will quickly escalate if handed over to a garage.

Thanks for you reply.
    It says mk3 on the receipt I think it's 2004 or 5.
    I was thinking of RV8.
    I have discs all round and vented on the front now, just replaced.
    I've worked on cars and can do most things but I have never re built an engine so may have to go down the JRV8 route.
    I'd better make a list!

David (Firestarter) has done a similar conversion, Ford to RV8 on his Sumo so will have first hand experience of all the ancillary work required. Are your ears burning David?
    Dek

Have done this once and halfway through doing a second one, it's always a lot more work and expense than you first think, don't think anyone has mentioned converting the pedal box for hydraulic clutch, propshaft is another thing you need to change.
    Glad I did mine, but the amount of time it is a labour of love.

Many thanks for your information.
    My car has power steering is there still room for this or will it have to go, there doesn't look to be much room looking though the "manual".

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    David (Firestarter) has done a similar conversion, Ford to RV8 on his Sumo so will have first hand experience of all the ancillary work required. Are your ears burning David?
    Dek
    Yeah, but I was struggling to remember my password. 8(

Alex has summarised much of it above - All sorts of complications, exhaust headers, scarcity of LT77 gearboxes (allegedly) and hefty expense if like me you aren’t talented enough to do it yourself. As for engine choice, a standard 3.5 RV8 puts out about 150 BHP, a 4.6 RV8 with ECU and modified heads puts out 275 ish. I went for the latter.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast