Lower wishbone bushes

Looking ahead, has anyone changed out the standard black rubber bushes in the lower front wishbones (xj6) for the ptfe version. If so, were there any issues

Al

I changed the rubber bushes for poly-bushes across the whole front suspension system, it was easy enough but I had the wishbones off the car so that I could press them in which was MUCH easier than trying to do it on the car. I used a Powerflex bush kit for the XJ6.

I also wanted to change the bushes on my 1984 XJ6 front lower wishbone and bought some Powerflex "top hat" bushes from Temple Tuning. I could not get them in despite calling a Powerflex guy who said they were the right ones and could be tight and just to use some grease and a vice. I spent ages trying but eventually realised it was impossible! Temple tuning then said that the Powerflex bushes are not for a 1984 XJ6 and that Powerflex do not supply one for the earlier XJ6 models....so be careful!

I called Ben at Simplyperformance who sells a polybush bush kit for early XJ6 suspension and they do fit. My only question is that the previous bushes' "top hat" fitted the whole face of the wishbone whereas the ones I have now do not.....is this a problem? Ben said it is not but does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Hope this helps Al......just be aware not all XJ6 suspensions are the same!

Martin

Sorry I lied, I fitted Super Pro bushes not Powerflex, here is the whole car kit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251742470...kAAOSwZMBhp858

And here is the front wishbone kit which is what you would need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231410243...0AAOSwxE9hp89y
    Last edited by JamesB; 27-01-22 at 07:37 AM.

Many thanks for the responses. I took some time to read the previous threads published on the site. It looks to be a 50/50 split regarding the views on benefits of poly bushes for road cars. Cost looks to be neutral as far as the change is concerned. Has anyone found them to give a harder ride and do they squeak and become loose in the wishbone, as indicated in earlier threads.

James, should I change the upper wishbone bushes even though they are in good condition if I am replacing the lower bushes (one of the top hats has split). Have you used the bushes on the ebay link you provided? I have the same questions as Alun!

If one has split I would look to replace them all. Rubber hardens with age so if they are old at a small cost if your doing the work. Replace them all. Poly bushes will give you a harder ride and if not lub up enough will squeak. I know some who went back to rubber bushes. Get them from a good supplier.

Yes I used the exact same bushes. As Jon says, you should replace all of them not just the lower ones if you are changing the material. If you were just putting rubber ones back then you could just replace the lower ones. But also as Jon says, these will change the feel of the car. I personally like the enhanced control of polybushes and have another car which is done throughout but it might make everything feel a bit harsh to you, not really any way of telling until you try. My car is not yet back on the road so I can't tell you exactly what its like but as I already drive a car using these I am expecting to be please with it.

I have decided to go for rubber bushes after considering the type of use I will be putting the car to. The problem I have is that I cannot find any rubber top hat bushes for the front bottom wishbones. Can anyone recommend a supplier as I have tried the usual suspects and can only so far get hold of the OEM style bushes.
    Thanks
    Martin

Alun
    I recently changed all the front suspension bushes on my Dax Jag front end to SuperPro poly bushes along with new top & bottom ball joints. Prior to the change the car was very unstable crossing poor road surfaces/white lines/lorry wear tracks etc. The car would alarming leap across them so decided to change the bushes to SuperPro as recommended on this forum on other threads. On disassembly I found that the car had poly bushes on the top wishbones and badly worn rubber ones on the lower!.
    I found them easy to fit except for a siezed lower wishbone fulcrum shaft resulting in the need for this to be ground off and a new fulcrum shaft fitted (from SNG Barratt).
    Since fitting and 4 wheel alignment, I now have no road surface stability issues, no squeaking, no significant change in ride harshness and much improved steering response (although this is not surprising due to the poor state of the old bushes!).
    I’m very satisfied and would recommend them.
    Graham