GD Mk3 Rear Suspension

Hi - I'm interested in a GD Mk3 that's for sale but I want to have a deeper offset rear wheel (I don't want to buy it & then find I can't get the parts to do this - I'm not a mechanic, just a hobbyist).

I've seen shorter lower arms and driveshafts from a Series 1 Jag mentioned in several threads on forums but no other details (i.e: what year, can they be from any S1 model, are they still available to buy from breakers, does anyone do new custom versions to plug and play?).

I'm not sure if these can still be sourced or if they are obtainable anymore. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Carpark of Unearthly Delights (Sussex Division)
    Hi,

Assuming its a jag, not a ford euro mk3 GD you'll need late sixties S-type or 420 lower arms and driveshafts. Or get the xj arms and shafts shortened by an suitably experienced firm.
    Richard

GD 'project Kiazen' still in progress

Thanks & yes Jag based. The only set of arms & shafts I can find is on EBay, £495 & they need a rebuild cost adding on as well. Shortening existing parts may well be cheaper but would need someone experienced like you say who’s done this before so the search continues

Carpark of Unearthly Delights (Sussex Division)
    Consider buying the car if its good value, well built etc and then if you can't live with the standard wide rear track you can do it later. Either way, consider the lead time and cost on a new set of matching rear wheels (often from Image currently on 12-16 week lead time). You might want to have a look at the episode of wheeler dealers that has the GD where the rear end is narrowed to give an overview of whats involved (but remember if you were really doing it you'd have to measure / set up the rear suspension geometry also). Eitherway, have fun.
    Richard

GD 'project Kiazen' still in progress

Also worth looking into the possibility of flaring the rear arches and possibly wings to accommodate wider wheels while keeling the standard axle. I was suggested this by GD a few years ago at the Stoneleigh show a few years ago and seem to recall they’ve done this on a few.