Le Mans, 2005 - Have I Missed The Boat?

I was planning a trip to Le Mans in June 05, Anyone upto date with present position re availability, have I left arrangements too late, from different sites visited people seem to book very early. Never been before, any suggestions greatly appreciated on best routes, crossings, places to stay etc was intending to take the tent and camp nearby, anyone travelling down from Yorkshire area? Nigel.

Re: Le Mans, 2005 - Have I Missed The Boat?

As noted on the other LM 2005 thread here http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showt...6908#post76908 our group has just received our 2005 invoice from the ACO.
    Having said that, we booked for 2005 at the 2004 PRe Qualifying event in April 2004 - so that's 14 months in advance.

To answer your question, you really need to get in quick. The booking agents such as Just Tickets and Page & Moy etc are probably all booked now.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Thanks for reply, found a company I may try who advertise for ferry, tickets and campimg, hiopefully get in, sounds like we will be sleeping in the car, 2006 sounds promiising, Nigel

Nigel, dont bother do what Ive done for the last 3 years and just turn up on Thurs and buy your tickets including camping on the gate. Looking at the correspondance on this it would appear that the ferries out of Newhaven are the cheapest. Ive gone Poole to St Malo on the sea cat in the past and then its a couple of hours to Le Sarth. Newhaven is slightly longer but not much and you end up with more beer money.
    Every year we have had good camping showers and loos 50yds away, not smellie, well looked after and the obligatory Dutch bar 100yds away, what more do you need. Also we bought our tickets last year from one of the security guys and paid only 40 Euros for each, even better. There were still people turning up at the site on Saturday so space is not an issue. For info it was the last site inside the circuit on the left as you head down past the Techno park towards Arnage village. Happy hunting !
    Andy S (Maggot)
    SRV8 + CHEVY

Isnt it a beautiful day - now watch some bastard louse it up !

Quote Originally Posted by Andy S
    ....... Also we bought our tickets last year from one of the security guys and paid only 40 Euros for each, even better. For info it was the last site inside the circuit on the left as you head down past the Techno park towards Arnage village. Happy hunting !
    That'll be Beausejour then! A 'brisk' walk to the start / finish and LM village area.

This site always has spaces available and those on the gate are generally willing to accept cash to enter. The ACO usually offers this site when all others are full.

Steve
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Thanks folks, hopefully see you there, regards, Nigel.

Their are ways of doing this.
    The first year I went (1997) I camped and booked a package with Continental Car Tours in Dover. It was fine and very good value for money but I decided camping was not for me.
    The next year I booked digs with a French family through the Office de Tourisme (O de T) in Le Mans. They are great and well organised. I still go to stay with the same people who are now family friends despite (on the French side of the relationship) a divorce, a re marriage and a move of house. When our party grew to 16 our hostess arranged extra accomodation with her sister who vacated her house ad handed it over to us.
    So. What are the important issues.
    1) The only vital thing to book in advance is somewhere to park (if you are not camping)........we go for the parking adjacent to the airstrip with designated places. Book this throgh the Office de Tourisme in say February.
    2) Entry tickets you can buy on the gate; but we do buy through the O de T but it is not really neccessary.
    3) If you want a grandstand seat (Tribune) book it through the O de T at the same time as the parking and entry..
    3) If you want to book digs go through the O de T and just register any time before Feb and they allocate in a very organised way.
    4) We always go through the Channel Tunnel and either book direct with them or through Continental Car Tours who will sell a tunnel only ticket, in my experience.

It's not really hard but can appear daunting on the first trip. It is of course totally well worth the effort. It is the most amazing event.

David Large
    David Large
    Bald Surfer with a BRA 289

Thanks David, will give your ideas some thought, some useful advice, regards, Nigel.