Thread: Panel Hacksaw

oglyoodoo is offline Head Mechanic

Panel Hacksaw

Does anyone know where I can obtain a Panel Hacksaw?

I occasionally have a need to saw up a fair sized piece of sheet metal and I used to be able to borrow such an item from work.

For those who don't know the back of the saw is like a conventional woodsaw but it is possible to fit Hacksaw blades to it. As you cut through the sheet metal the back of the saw goes through the sawcut just as with a handsaw cutting wood.

Thanks

Denis

If you take something to bits often enough, eventually you'll have two of them......

GD427E039

Geezer is offline Chief Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by oglyoodoo View Post

I occasionally have a need to saw up a fair sized piece of sheet metal and I used to be able to borrow such an item from work.

For those who don't know the back of the saw is like a conventional woodsaw but it is possible to fit Hacksaw blades to it. As you cut through the sheet metal the back of the saw goes through the sawcut just as with a handsaw cutting wood.

Thanks

Denis
    I use an electric jigsaw with some decent fine tooth blades. So long as the panel is supported/clamped, it works for me.
    Pete

BAE SBC 350 (with a Carb...)/ TKO500 / 3.54PL -
    Less of a mess now but still plenty to do...
    Number of polishes - 1/2 and a bit...
    SOLD...SOLD...

If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.

Purple AK is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by oglyoodoo View Post

Thanks

Denis
    They used to be made by Monument Tools and called "Shetack", I believe Eclipse also made one. Word has it they are no longer made, but there have been a few on ebay in the last few months, so that might be the way forward. I bought one years ago from a boot sale, (but it went when some kind soul robbed the tools from the back of my car one night!!) Like Pete, I either use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade or a nibbler these days.
    Chris
    AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

oglyoodoo is offline Head Mechanic
    Thanks for the replies. I have decent Jigsaw but for many jobs I still like handtools. To get a nice straight edge with the Jigsaw, by the time I have fiddled about clamping a straight edge to the panel to use as a guide I could have done the job with a Hacksaw. The one I used to borrow was an Eclipse but I confess to not having heard of "Shetack". I'll keep a look out for one on the auction sites.

Thanks again

Denis

If you take something to bits often enough, eventually you'll have two of them......

GD427E039