Should there be pressure on my pushrod to the clutch release lever (LT77 gearbox)..??

HI,

Can someone tell whether my pushrod that connects to the clutch release arm should have some form of resistance, as I can just wriggle it around and move it back and forth.. I would of expected to have some resistance trying to push it back.. My gearbox being LT77..

I have just replaced my Master & Slave cylinders and bled these. Whilst trying assess whether I still have air in the system, which I suspect, I noticed that the push rod that fits into the slave cylinder seems move quite easily around, not sure whether this is normal.. I am planning to take out the engine and gearbox over the coming weeks, and wanted to turn the car around without having to manually move it.. Any good ideas on the best way to bleed the system..?? just wanted to ensure that I have removed the air from the system..

Many thanks,

Rick.........
    Sumo Mk 3 Rover 3.5, XJS suspension....

There should not be much pressure on the rod or the release bearing would be under load and spinning all the time which would reduce its life. Some people actually fit a light spring to pull the release arm towards the slave cylinder to pull the release bearing away from the clutch slightly.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I know from experience (just replaced a street twin clutch after 10,000 miles!) that there does need to be some movement.

When the clutch is released you should be able to move the slave pushrod into the slave cylinder by about 5mm - adjust this distance by the dome nut and locking nut at the fork end of the rod. As you push it back into the slave you should feel a little resistance - on the frst go because you need to get rid of some of the fluid but on subsequent goes because there is a light spring behind the piston in the slave to keep the pushrod located in the fork end.

Sounds like its totally normal to me. On bleeding I've never had much luck with anything other than the traditional system - bleed valve open, depress pedal, close bleed valve, lift pedal and repeat a fair few times.
    www.sounds-legal.com - some have said we\'re mad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H20s View Post
    HI,

Can someone tell whether my pushrod that connects to the clutch release arm should have some form of resistance, as I can just wriggle it around and move it back and forth.. I would of expected to have some resistance trying to push it back.. My gearbox being LT77..

I have just replaced my Master & Slave cylinders and bled these. Whilst trying assess whether I still have air in the system, which I suspect, I noticed that the push rod that fits into the slave cylinder seems move quite easily around, not sure whether this is normal.. I am planning to take out the engine and gearbox over the coming weeks, and wanted to turn the car around without having to manually move it.. Any good ideas on the best way to bleed the system..?? just wanted to ensure that I have removed the air from the system..

Many thanks,

Rick.........
    Hi Rick, yes there will be resistance in the rod due to the head of fluid pushing on the slave cylinders piston, i believe these also have a spring built in, you should not be able to hand push back the rod much more than 5 mils, or there is a chance it could dislodged, i measured for the pushrod between the cup in the clutch fork, and in the slave piston (pushed fully back) minus a few mils for clearence, and has never given me any trouble in 20k (Standard 11" Clutch)

thanks for your replies and really appreciated. The slave rod ok which I am happy with and it appears that my fork for the clutch is ok, phew..!! so back to the drawing board and bleed the system this weekend, hopefully get the air out so the clutch works as designed..

once again, many thanks...

Rick...

Not sure if this is any help because my gearbox is different but still hydraulic, when I belled my system I find that if it is sitting in the normal road level I sometimes get air pockets in the system because the bleed nipple is lower than the end of the slave cylinder(don't ask why it's an American thing!) so what I do is lift up the rear of the car to make sure that any air that is trapped moves to the highest point by the nipple and will then come out during bleeding, it may work for you if your set up is similar. Simon

I meant "bleed" NOT "belled"!!!!!!!

Cheers Simon... So if I ensure that the nipple is higher than the opposite end of the cylinder this will help the trap air to mve to the highest point being the nipple. In this case I will need to raise the front on my car.. am I correct or have i got it totally wrong..!!!??

Rick...

You've got it, raise which ever end will get the bleed nipple higher.

Many thanks.. Will get to have a go this afternoon if the other half allows..!!