Page 320 of 336 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330 ... LastLast
Results 3,191 to 3,200 of 3351
    not today but this week i purchased and received a new 14x3 airfilter from JRV8 for a very good price
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I completed the transformation of my dashboard today. After a quick test drive I’m pleased to say everything works as expected. I say expected as I didn’t expect the wipers to be completely functional. They still don’t park, but they work.
    Just some tidying up of the carpet still to do.

The first picture is the before, and the second is the after.
    The Dax dashboard is now for sale albeit unpopulated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

That look great David. Dont suppose you have any more pictures of the various stages? Also, what did you use for an indicator solution? I am really keen on doing the same conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I completed the transformation of my dashboard today. After a quick test drive I’m pleased to say everything works as expected. I say expected as I didn’t expect the wipers to be completely functional. They still don’t park, but they work.
    Just some tidying up of the carpet still to do.

The first picture is the before, and the second is the after.
    The Dax dashboard is now for sale albeit unpopulated.
    Just seen that- looks excellent. Very professional - well done!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Jag handbrake adjustment. I will find how good it is at the Mot. Seems to be ok after feckling.

Not actually on the Cobra, but booked FoS tickets for me and the lad for Thursday.
    First time back at the festival for over 10 years - where did that time go?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Flykilla View Post
    That look great David. Dont suppose you have any more pictures of the various stages? Also, what did you use for an indicator solution? I am really keen on doing the same conversion.
    Thanks for all the kind responses.
    Believe me there is a lot of work involved. Partial re-wiring of the dashboard. Modifying the side wall panels in the foot wells, which I have still got to complete. Plus accounting for cock ups I made during when I built the car nearly twenty years ago.
    The dashboard was supplied as a blank from Andy Hatton of 427 Hardtops as well as loads of advice. Although some of his ideas I couldn’t make work and I still need to change a few things.
    The indicator stalk is from a classic VW Beetle. I took that apart and gave it a damn good service and repaint. The old white grease had gone hard and crystallised. There was a bit of corrosion but that was treated.
    The Sierra switch gear was removed and all the mounting points for the switch gear was taken off with a saw, including the ignition barrel. Ideally what was left could have been put in a a lathe for perfection but I got adequate results with a file and emery tape.
    Andy recommended a certain steering wheel boss but because our European friends are being stupid about brexit, I couldn’t get hold of the one I wanted. So I utilised the existing Mota Lita one but had to cut down the collar to avoid scraping the indicator stalk. I also had to add a few penny washers behind the steering wheel boss to space it out even further.
    The horn is a push button affair next to where my left knee resides. The windscreen wipers and headlamps are operated by two identical four position rotary switches with a momentary push function, one for the washers, and the other for the headlights flash.
    Six warning lights, battery, indicators, fog, oil pressure warning, brake fluid level and full beam.
    The brake fluid level warning light by law needs a test function. This was done originally with a momentary rocker switch which illuminated when pressed. I replaced this with a very small momentary push switch situated just below the brake warning light to the right of the steering wheel.
    The hazard light switch needed some thinking about but I got there in the end. It’s amazing what can be found with Google. I even found the wiring diagram for the Dax with Sierra switch gear on the internet. This was extremely useful.
    I found the instrument layout on the internet and printed this out onto A3 paper. I transposed the measurements and dimensions of the various instruments and switches by meaning the drawing and the dashboard I was using, then dividing one sum into the other. I ended up measuring the dimensions from the illustration I printed then multiplying that by something like 1.38 (can’t remember the exact figure). This worked pretty well.
    The dashboard I ended up with isn’t an exact replica of the original but rather a production of the ‘feel’ for the era it came from. I have added a USB port for phones, satnav, etc. Chrome flick switches instead of the Lucas plastic ones and a Smiths style time clock in place of the oil temp which was originally used. The oil pressure gauge is in the wrong place too but I put it there so that the oil pressure warning light could be mounted adjacent to it. I had to juggle a couple of positions of a couple of the guages around the steering wheel to make the layout work.
    The centre of the dashboard is mounted from right angles brackets that I have hung from the tails of the tonneau cover studs. I glassed in another couple of brackets outboard of the original two and also fastened the dash in these positions. I used rivnuts.
    The ends of the dashboard are secured via home made brackets to the same structure that the door hinges are mounted to.
    The bouncy castle cushioned cockpit surround which isn’t in the photos below was also modified by cutting it down, removing the foam and recovering it with vinyl. The dashboard itself is also covered in vinyl which I did myself.
    Below are a selection of ‘during’ pictures.

More pictures to follow.
    Last edited by Darnpistonbroke; 04-04-21 at 10:46 PM.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

David.

I then gave the old girl a good clean and a run out. The first trip this year and all behaved well.

The indicator stalk needs attention as it is far to close to the steering wheel and needs a little more thought. Also the windscreen wipers don’t park but this is down to my lack of electrical understanding and skills.
    The brake fluid level switch has gone closed circuit but that happened before this project and is next on my ‘to do’ list.

I’ll be receiving my new suspension in a couple of weeks. I’m really hoping this will transform the way the car drives. The old Spax stuff make the car crash and bang over the potholes and makes the car quite uncomfortable to drive.

Thanks for looking. If anyone needs any more advice then PM me. Give Andy Hatton a shout too. Really helpful and nice chap. I look forward to meeting him one day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David.

Thanks for taking the time to post the additional steps thats a great help.