Page 325 of 327 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327 LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 3263
    I've pulled the intake manifold and renewed the gaskets. For some reason I was getting oil on the plugs on one bank. When I pulled the intake I could see oil on top of the valves. Could be valve seals but odd that it's one bank only so I am hoping it's a gasket failure probably due to me when I changed the heads last year. One of the problems with these FE's is the amount of oil they pump up top. I've put restrictors in but there still seems to be a lot that get's up there. It's a funny old set up with the pushrods running through the manifold and hence oil pours from the rockers all over the gasket. So if you have a leak, they suck it in.
    I have been very religious with the bolt tightening sequence and plan to let it settle overnight then give it another go. I have also trimmed the head gaskets to allow the oil to flow back down better, removing the option for a little pool where the intake gasket meets the head.
    Fingers crossed. If it doesn't work then I will run it for the summer and pull the heads over winter, although I do have a little tool to change the valve seals without taking the heads off. It's an option.
    I've also ordered some 'long fingered' drip trays from the US. I have a short fingered ones at the moment. It stops the oil running over the valve seals and drips it back in to the valley away from the gasket. The long ones are best but I am not sure I can get one in with my 8 barrel manifold.
    FE's!! Why do I love them at all????? But I do............
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

One common problem with FEs is oil being sucked in through a failed intake manifold gasket. I've had this happen before. It was with Fel-Pro print-o-seals, which are well known for this, although I didn't know at the time I installed them.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    One common problem with FEs is oil being sucked in through a failed intake manifold gasket. I've had this happen before. It was with Fel-Pro print-o-seals, which are well known for this, although I didn't know at the time I installed them.
    I've seen a lot about those 'print o seal' gaskets. Mine were the usual 90145s though. Not really sure why they would be leaking but I think (hope!) they were. There was certainly a lot of oil on them. I've fiddled about a bit and removed the locating dowel too just in case that was holding the manifold off a bit. Will probably know tomorrow! It's all back together now, just need to put water in and then start and time it. Will also try the bolts again in the morning although I can't believe it will settle any more. I've been around the tightening sequence about 6 times today!! Mind you, it did keep pulling in for a few - it could be I was not thorough enough last time.
    Hopefully I've fixed it!

I had trouble with the felpro ones so spoke to Real Steel who recommended the Victor Reinz intake set. No problems at all in the last 4000 or so miles.
    Just my tuppence worth.
    Baz

I couldn't find the thread I was looking for, but I did find one. Both positive and negative thoughts, but the pictures show the issue. Same thing happened to me.

https://www.fordfe.com/viewtopic.php?p=906733#p906733
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I’ll give these FelPro metal cores a chance then try something else if they don’t work! Never had a problem in ‘the old days’. Stuff just isn’t made like it was any more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBaz View Post
    I had trouble with the felpro ones so spoke to Real Steel who recommended the Victor Reinz intake set. No problems at all in the last 4000 or so miles.
    Just my tuppence worth.
    Baz
    They look good and lots of positive feedback but it seems not available for the FE any longer! Shame. I've got it all going again for now. Will be interesting to see how it fairs. I have tried a couple of things. Other than that, I have replaced the failed gasket with one exactly the same!!! Hopefully my bit of fiddling and religious tightening will solve the problem. These modern ones are definitely not what the old ones were. Fingers crossed (or it's another days work!)

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Continued getting nowhere trying to tune my 302 with it's Speedmaster 8 Stack EFI, and FAST XFI control. Running Alpha N due to low MAP.
    It's really doing my head now, I've already postponed my IVA 3 times because of it.
    I'm beginning to wish I'd stuck with an old fashioned carb.
    Anyone got a decent 302 inlet and Carb laying around?
    Join all the throttles to a vacuum reservoir tank and use that as your map signal, can also be used for vacuum operated servo feed.

Thanks Tony,
    The manifold already has that common plenum built in but obviously doesn't work well.
    I've only managed to find mini reservoirs with 6 ports not 8 strangley.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Thanks Tony,
    The manifold already has that common plenum built in but obviously doesn't work well.
    I've only managed to find mini reservoirs with 6 ports not 8 strangley.
    I made my own reservoir as I also used it for the brake servo. What is it about alpha n that you can't get right? Give me a call if you'd like to talk it through, we may come up with something you haven't tried?