Page 326 of 327 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327 LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 3267
    Update on my earlier post re oily plugs one side. Got the long fingered drip trays from California yesterday so today fitted them to the rocker assembly. The power of the internet! 1964 vintage parts to fit my engine and really good condition. The guy had literally dozens and stacks of FE parts! The new gaskets have worked anyway (no more oily plugs) but these will stop anything from getting on the valve seals as the old girl was designed originally. I can't really remember what happened to the original ones but I think one got damaged during racing many years ago and I replaced with what I had i.e. no fingers! (probably a 390 version). It's a funny old design up top on the FE, hot oil pours over the intake gasket surface but now with the fingers it should drip straight back down into the lifter gallery. These 'new' drip trays are solid around the valve springs, so no oil at all can go that way. The ones I took off had drain holes (not sure why, sort of defeats the object!) Hopefully will get a run out in the sunshine tomorrow to try it! Might even take it to get my second vaccine.
    Long fingers

Short
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

For 64 parts they look nearly new.

Very nice - where did you find the new oil guards?

IIRC my engine has none at all because they don't fit with the billet rocker assemblies, but I could be wrong .. I also don't want to disturb the rocker covers that don't currently leak
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    For 64 parts they look nearly new.
    Confession! They are stock images (because I forgot to take pictures of mine!). But, they were indeed as good as those. Like new.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Very nice - where did you find the new oil guards?

IIRC my engine has none at all because they don't fit with the billet rocker assemblies, but I could be wrong .. I also don't want to disturb the rocker covers that don't currently leak
    EBay shop called Freedomleather. Loads of original FE stuff. Great service and good quality.
    I have original 427 rocker shafts, they are heavy duty and cast iron not the aluminium found on a lot of the other FEs. Never had a problem with them. They are adjustable as I run solid lifters.
    I have been helping someone with a squeaky Professionally built 427 with a hydraulic roller set up. Absolute PITA. It has no adjustment on his rockers at all (specially made Harland units), you can’t even adjust for preload. The builder measures each pushrod individually and adds 60 thou for preload. We had all the rockers off twice, shimming up to try to find the squeak but no luck. A right fiddle to get them back on as everything moves, an octopus would have been handy. It could be one of the lifters which are themselves over complicated things (Morel). All big bucks (very big bucks). Probably several thousand in the valve train alone. Give me a solid flat tappet any day!! When I think about the stick my old girl has had, it’s a good advert for the original kit.
    That was a long way of saying, you’re right, the drip trays were not fitted on that one with the fancy rockers either! It did have shims underneath the stands though. Not sure what for, to compensate for the missing tin drip tray or for lengthening the pushrods a bit!!! No idea!

In theory the shims under the stands will effectively shorten the push rods, and alter the rocker angle too.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Handy seller to know Chris, cheers! Saved him in case I need anything in the future
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    In theory the shims under the stands will effectively shorten the push rods, and alter the rocker angle too.
    Agreed. We tried adding more shims to see if that would stop the squeak but it didn't! I thought it sounded like a slightly tight valve. As you can't adjust anything my thought was effectively shorten the pushrod. Compression really good on all cylinders and the squeak is not audible on revving but returns on overrun and definitely sounds camshaft related. Not audible on cranking either. Really frustrating. Been all over it with a stethoscope and can't trace it. Tried all the usual disconnecting ancillaries etc. New (rebuilt) 427 side oiler. Top quality components (unnecessary in my view) but a real nasty squeak. Builder has said return it to America but that is not easy as it's in a lovely new car!
    I spoke to Pete Knight about it. His view on the fancy lifter set up was interesting. Not something he does, he says because of the way they work you need to up spring pressure and that cancels out your gain. I won't put in print what he said about non adjustable rockers!!!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Agreed. We tried adding more shims to see if that would stop the squeak but it didn't! I thought it sounded like a slightly tight valve. As you can't adjust anything my thought was effectively shorten the pushrod. Compression really good on all cylinders and the squeak is not audible on revving but returns on overrun and definitely sounds camshaft related. Not audible on cranking either. Really frustrating. Been all over it with a stethoscope and can't trace it. Tried all the usual disconnecting ancillaries etc.
    I went though that sort of thing once. Was more of a shriek than a squeak. Only happened once engine was fully warmed up and was only noticeable at idle or low rpms. I investigated bearings/bushings such as alternator, water pump and in particular the distributor (as it sounded more like a dry bushing than a bad bearing)with no luck.

I finally discovered it wasn't a shriek or a squeak, but rather a whistle. Engine was sucking air past the intake gaskets, and of course worse at idle with high manifold vacuum. I had the manifold faces trued up, re-installed it and the noise was gone.

Most likely not your problem, but as your attempt to find the source matched my own, I thought I'd mention it.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Agreed. We tried adding more shims to see if that would stop the squeak but it didn't! I thought it sounded like a slightly tight valve. As you can't adjust anything my thought was effectively shorten the pushrod. Compression really good on all cylinders and the squeak is not audible on revving but returns on overrun and definitely sounds camshaft related. Not audible on cranking either. Really frustrating. Been all over it with a stethoscope and can't trace it. Tried all the usual disconnecting ancillaries etc. New (rebuilt) 427 side oiler. Top quality components (unnecessary in my view) but a real nasty squeak. Builder has said return it to America but that is not easy as it's in a lovely new car!
    I spoke to Pete Knight about it. His view on the fancy lifter set up was interesting. Not something he does, he says because of the way they work you need to up spring pressure and that cancels out your gain. I won't put in print what he said about non adjustable rockers!!!!
    I have no experience with the FE unit but is a possibility it could be a push rod rubbing
    on the guide holes that they pass through.
    On my RV8 I needed re-work the holes to accommodate the new valve gear that I used,
    this is just a thought as have no experience with the FE .
    Chris.