Page 327 of 334 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 3339
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    I have no experience with the FE unit but is a possibility it could be a push rod rubbing
    on the guide holes that they pass through.
    On my RV8 I needed re-work the holes to accommodate the new valve gear that I used,
    this is just a thought as have no experience with the FE .
    Chris.
    Yes, thought that was a possible cause, had them all out and checked but none were rubbing. Really frustrating! Checked everything on the top end without taking the inlet manifold off. Decided to run it a bit and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    I went though that sort of thing once. Was more of a shriek than a squeak. Only happened once engine was fully warmed up and was only noticeable at idle or low rpms. I investigated bearings/bushings such as alternator, water pump and in particular the distributor (as it sounded more like a dry bushing than a bad bearing)with no luck.

I finally discovered it wasn't a shriek or a squeak, but rather a whistle. Engine was sucking air past the intake gaskets, and of course worse at idle with high manifold vacuum. I had the manifold faces trued up, re-installed it and the noise was gone.

Most likely not your problem, but as your attempt to find the source matched my own, I thought I'd mention it.
    Could be John. We did look for vacuum leaks. We didn't take the manifold off but that is probably the next stage. Checked vacuum and it was about 7, quite cammy, so who knows! We sprayed around the carb foot too just in case but nothing. Thankfully it's not my car (or it would be sleepless nights!) but still incredibly frustrating not to be able to find it.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    I went though that sort of thing once. Was more of a shriek than a squeak. Only happened once engine was fully warmed up and was only noticeable at idle or low rpms. I investigated bearings/bushings such as alternator, water pump and in particular the distributor (as it sounded more like a dry bushing than a bad bearing)with no luck.

I finally discovered it wasn't a shriek or a squeak, but rather a whistle. Engine was sucking air past the intake gaskets, and of course worse at idle with high manifold vacuum. I had the manifold faces trued up, re-installed it and the noise was gone.

Most likely not your problem, but as your attempt to find the source matched my own, I thought I'd mention it.

Had a similar thing many years ago (on a Ford Cortina!), thinking of all sorts of terminal issues. Only found the cause when I removed the "bunch of bananas" exhaust manifold and found one branch had cracked all the way around, the sound was the ends of the pipe rubbing together (could see they were all shiney) but there had been no obvious exhaust 'blow' sounds. Sometimes solutions are simple but obscure!

Removed the FAST XFI Street ECU again ready to send it back to the USA for checking and hopefully repair.
    After spending hours on hanging on the phone waiting for a FAST Tech to answer, the conclusion was that my ECU might be faulty. AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Having fitted 3 TPS sensors and 2 new Wideband O2 sensors, still running like shite.
    AFR reading clamped on 15.94 (full scale lean for this system). Although it's obvious that the engine is running mega rich.
    I have noticed that the WB Status on the laptop dashboard is reading a RED Zero. (Faulty controller?)
    According to FAST's manual normal operation should be 8.

Looking like I'm going to have to delay the IVA once again.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

MOT, tax and drive today. Weather and drive were great!
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

Still had a bit of smoke on starting on my old 427, even after changing the manifold gasket. Had to be the valve seals so had them out and replaced them. Used the old soft rope trick, bringing up each piston to TDC after filling the bore with rope. That held the valves in place and allowed me to take the springs off with the heads on a cylinder at a time. Really easy. 2 hours for 16 seals and everything back together. Slightly pleased with myself!
    First decent run out tonight. No smoke at all. Looks like the Teflon seals were duff. Good old rubber doing the job for now. Will probably order some more Viton type at some point.

Fixed the slipping clutch issue today.
    The slave cylinder was new last year but never seemed quite right. So removed it, took it apart hoping to find a broken spring. It was fine. So after some head scratching I deformed the small end of the spring so that it would grip the spigot end of the piston and put it back together with fingers crossed.
    Fitted it this evening, bled it and took it for a test drive. All is well. Just a small adjustment to lengthen the pushrod now.

Once again tried contacting the kit manufacturer by both phone and email. Nil response from either. Really is quite disappointing. I could have had an order to build five cars which by now would have gone to their main competitor.
    Some companies really don’t help themselves.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Went out to a local meet last night, on the way home she was hesitating and missing and not behaving at all! So today have pulled the carbs apart (2 x Holley 600's), checked them over, blown through everything and replaced all 4 float valves. All reassembled and hey presto the problem has gone!
    Now what is interesting about this is that last week I had a call from my son who was looking at an Iso Griffo (Chevy engine with 600 Holley) with the same symptoms (we are doing that carb next week). Then, on Sunday, at another meet, I met another cobra owner who had also had the same problems and had also changed the float valves and solved the issue! Coincidence? Crap float valves? Crap petrol destroying them?? Unusually, last weekend I did put dome 95 RON in as the garage had no Super Unleaded. I used my TetraBoost ethanol canceller as usual but it does make me wonder.
    Anyone else having float valve issues?

No but I now have a semi thinking about the Grifo............

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    No but I now have a semi thinking about the Grifo............
    Haha, me too. I love it. It's part of a private collection but of all of them (and many are more 'fashionable') I would take the Grifo any day. Closest I will get is refurbing the carb!!!
    Son gets to drive it. Even took his girlfriend out to bloody lunch in it! Cream with red leather interior. Class.