Rog
    AK 427 SC now sold. New ride is a 57 Chevy Bel Air Big Block 454

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Shackleton View Post
    P700 ! What is the difference ?

Rog
    P700

PL700
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry Keith I meant apart from the visual appearance.

Rog

I can only go on what people have said in previous posts and visual aperance, I have no experience of either myself, except returning a set of P700 back to the supplier because on his listing he stated that they were "Fully E marked and UK MOT standard" when they arived they were not.

Just taken out the bulbs they are blue in colour and stamped 60/55 but no manufactures name or indication where they were made probably Shiteland as one is clouded up and I've only used them in dark once for about 10miles.
    interestingly, checked the bulbs from my old lamps they are not blue tinted but made in Germany and look a lot better quality. So swapped them.
    Can I get a higher rated bulb ? If so what ?

thanks

Rog

Hi Roger,

Yes you can. There are a number of high output bulbs available. I have the aforementioned Osram Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs, Clive has PIAA bulbs and there are numerous others as well. They're still 50/55W rated, so you don't need to change fuses and they're still legal, but they are MUCH brighter.

As already mentioned, the PL700 headlight units have a better beam pattern than the P700 units, presumably due to the different glass pattern. They're probably not as good as Clive's Cibies, but they are good and I like the Tripod look.

Paul

Thanks for the comments and very useful information. I think the position can be summarised as follows:

• The PL700 (asymmetric) seems to be the one I want as a right hand drive version will allow a curb dip.
    • Putting an LED bulb into a PL700 or P700 unit runs the risk of an MOT fail……my car was first registered in 2002 so not quite out of MOT test requirements.

But there are a couple of additional questions I have from reading other threads:

1. Is there a problem using a PL700 with an LED bulb as I think I understood that the design does not lend itself to the characteristics of an LED over a halogen bulb? Something to do with a bar?
    2. LED bulbs have come on hugely and Classic Car LEDs reckon they have an LED with a beam pattern of a halogen H4 (Latest LED Headlights H4 Z-ES Chips HiLo Beam 472 475 P43T Excellent Beam Pattern – Classic Car LEDs Ltd}. Has anyone tried this, or other LED bulbs, with a PL700 light? Forgetting potential MOT issues for now!

Thanks again everyone. You just cannot find this practical information anywhere!
    Martin

Are you running you lights via relays or through the switch as that makes a massive difference to the light output? I have the P700 units fed through relays for dip and main beam, running Osram night breaker halogen bulbs and find good visibility at night on back roads and very little blinding by oncoming traffic other than what you will always get being in a low car facing much taller oncoming traffic. Also have never had an issue at MOT time with light pattern.

Be aware that if you are running your lights through the switch, uprating the bulbs will increase current draw and increase the chance of burning the switch out.
    Crendon 427 Chassis no. 10 - 351 Cleveland. Tot Rod mini me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbelly View Post
    Are you running you lights via relays or through the switch as that makes a massive difference to the light output? I have the P700 units fed through relays for dip and main beam, running Osram night breaker halogen bulbs and find good visibility at night on back roads and very little blinding by oncoming traffic other than what you will always get being in a low car facing much taller oncoming traffic. Also have never had an issue at MOT time with light pattern.

Be aware that if you are running your lights through the switch, uprating the bulbs will increase current draw and increase the chance of burning the switch out.
    As above, fitting relays will make a huge difference to light output.

I run PIAA bulbs in PL700 lights with relays and they are very good.

Do some tests first as below links:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...dlights2.shtml

Good luck!
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

Quote Originally Posted by MartBlak View Post
    Thanks for the comments and very useful information. I think the position can be summarised as follows:

• The PL700 (asymmetric) seems to be the one I want as a right hand drive version will allow a curb dip.
    • Putting an LED bulb into a PL700 or P700 unit runs the risk of an MOT fail……my car was first registered in 2002 so not quite out of MOT test requirements.

But there are a couple of additional questions I have from reading other threads:

1. Is there a problem using a PL700 with an LED bulb as I think I understood that the design does not lend itself to the characteristics of an LED over a halogen bulb? Something to do with a bar?
    2. LED bulbs have come on hugely and Classic Car LEDs reckon they have an LED with a beam pattern of a halogen H4 (Latest LED Headlights H4 Z-ES Chips HiLo Beam 472 475 P43T Excellent Beam Pattern – Classic Car LEDs Ltd}. Has anyone tried this, or other LED bulbs, with a PL700 light? Forgetting potential MOT issues for now!

Thanks again everyone. You just cannot find this practical information anywhere!
    Martin
    The Classiccarleds are absolutely amazing. I have raved about them previously on similar threads. Seriously, I would not hesitate, and highly recommend. Others on here have been similarly pleased. Totally transformed my night time driving

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast