Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fitting a Dax hardtop to an AK (bought as a AK top)

Well Outcast finally shamed me into starting to make the hardtop I bought a couple of years ago fit my car. As it is made for a Dax it was a mile off fitting mine as it was short of reaching the screen by about 50mm and the rear window is too narrow for the boot to open as the Dax boot is not as wide as the AK boot. I laid the screen back just before going to Stonleigh which meant getting a new rubber seal for the bottom as the old one no longer sealed on the body and after 12 years decided it wasn't going to flex to the new shape. New seal fitted and problem solved. Now to make the rest fit properly,

First I have cut the roof on both sides so that I can splay it out, so I can open the boot lid.

Once it's all glassed together the boot lid will now open just the rest to do now. The drivers side fits really well its on foam strips hence the gap but it is even all the way around.

But the passinger side is a different story.

Touching in just one place.

Just got a load of measuring to do now to see if I need to add or remove some material.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Well done Martin, that's a good start at least.
    Have you got to make it longer to meet your screen or are you altering your screen rake?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

I've altered the screen rake. But as I found out last night the side screen frames that came with it are the wrong ones as the profile of the top piece is for a soft top as the hard top ones the a lot tighter bend which is more than 90 degree and he cut one of them

Thumbs up

Thumbs up Martin.
    I will enjoy watching this as it evolves. I have bought a Hawk bubble top which i will need to butcher for fitting to the crendon.
    It looks like similar levels of surgery will be required, so i look forward to seeing your solutions.

Best of luck with it, eagerly awaiting next episode!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Could you cut the left side above the side vent and tilt it to allow the bottom edge to sit on the body then re glass the side?
    Sumo, modified

Well been quite busy since my last post so thought I would update things a bit. First off I realised from the amount I had splayed the rear of the hard top I had gone far too far as although I could make the rear opening window bigger I could not do the same with the glass. So the first thing I did was to alter this and remove the catch bolts as this was the item causing the main problem, so now as you can see I have drastically reduced the amount I am altering things. I have also added some bracing to hold it in the correct position

Then it was time to start glassing it all back together. First I ground off the gel coat and some of the thickness of the glass before adding some new layers. then I removed the bracing so I could complete the first stage.

Then it was time to flip it over and this time grind it down all the way to the repair on the other side before starting to glass it back now to the full original thickness.

Followed by a big sheet to tidy it all up.

Now it was time to address the problem of the profile of the roof being wrong on the near side especially. Now I know the people on here who actually know what they are doing will probably say this is the wrong way to do this, but to me it seamed the least likely method for me to screw up. So first I placed the roof on the car and then I took my trusty Dremmel and cut the return off for about half the length of that side and then whilst wedging it apart so that it was a lot better shape I applied some P40 chop strand glass paste to hold it in place whilst I then applied a layer of glass matting on the inside before once again grinding down the outside through the gel so I could then build it all up again with matting before starting to fill it and get the correct shape.

Martin

Well the next step to get a really good fit was the biggest risk of all so far I thought. It involved covering both rear wings in masking tape, tracing the outline of where the roof will sit and then covering this area in P40 glass chop strand filler and sitting the roof down in it. Have to say this worked out better than I thought especially when it came tine to lift off the roof once it had all set. Then it was just a case of trimming and filling, not to a perfect finish as I will covering all this area in a nice soft foam seal. Well the inside is now done and the basic shape is there just got to fine tune it all now before having to tackle the frame for the opening window. You will have to forgive the colour but it was an old car of filler primer I finished off, nearer the time I will be using a grey filler primer.

Nice fit now

Martin

I think this counts as "properly brave" - looking good so far! Very impressive

Jim

I don't think anybody can criticise how you got there! Top job Martin, shows what can be done. Thanks for sharing.

Lee

Great stuff Martin!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast