Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Ah yes Jon - the cheetah! Also commonly used for disrobing your colleagues from the waist down I have a good local tyre place who said they'd fit the Galaxy's for me - they don't usually fit tyres they didn't supply, but we got chatting (while he was fitting £700s worth of all terrain tyres to my Range Rover) and he has at least one other Cobra owning customer including, allegedly, a "real one".. anyhoo, nice chap, and said they could fit & balance to centre-lock wheels

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    I should get the Trigoes back from the machine shop this week, and a new set of Simon rear hubs arriving next few days.
    Its all worked out rather expensive, hopefully beauty to come, in the eye of the beholder....but then I shall be off to NHT early in the new year to get a 245 on one wheel and a 255 on the other to see what I can get away with!
    I saw your comment about that and thought "ouch! That sounds expensive!" Still, it'll be worth it when it's done, right?

While ruminating on the carpet and wheels, I had a fiddle with the wing mirrors I have.. I used the fixings that should be used for the soft top clips, and I can't decide if this is just "far too high" and I should make a bracket up using some of the lower frame-to-screen fixings, instead.. any thoughts from fellow IVA combatants?

Also threw both seats in* and the harnesses so we could both sit in the car and make brum noises..

I was going to add the dash .. except I realised I re-fitted the steering column too far to the right the last time I had it out, and the dash doesn't fit. D'oh! Need to fix that.

*I say threw, but that is one annoying job as my arms are just too big and lack sufficient joints to get to some of the seat to frame fixings. Next time they come out, I'm tempted to weld the nuts on the underside of the seat frame so that I don't have to reach under the seats to bolt them in! That would make much more sense, although it precludes the use of nylocs, of course.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

When I was looking at mirror mounting on the windscreen side the centre to lower position suited me. If your tall and seat is fixed high you might be fine. The mid position is the main selected mount position.

I ended up mounting mine low down but using different mirrors after a long selection process. Drilling through the pillar which also allow me to use side screens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jon1d; 19-12-19 at 10:40 AM.

Hmm yes - looks much better mounted down there! I'll have to save that for when the screen comes back out again (since I need to do that to drill the holes for the centre stay and the rear view mirror, anyway) .. and then be really brave drilling through that expensive chromed upright!
    My DeDion build diary..

fixed my mirrors like Jon's for IVA.
    No need to drill any holes,? - my mirrors just used the same threads as the windscreen pillar mounting screws.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

fixed my mirrors like Jon's for IVA.
    No need to drill any holes,? - my mirrors just used the same threads as the windscreen pillar mounting screws.
    My bases (same as Jon's) have two holes in them, side by side.. my windscreen only has one row of 2BA holes that secure the frame to the screen (in a vertical line)? Plus the two tiny 4BA holes in a horizontal line near the top for the soft top latches.. so did you just use one single 2BA hole, which would leave the mirror able to rotate around that screw given enough force?
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    ....and he has at least one other Cobra owning customer including, allegedly, a "real one".. anyhoo, nice chap, and said they could fit & balance to centre-lock wheels .
    Scotts Tyres in Semilong by any chance ? if so, I'm one of the customers he refers to and the "Real" one is Deks ! Fortunately they know more about tyres than real Cobras and fitted my Galaxies for a good price.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    Scotts Tyres in Semilong by any chance ? if so, I'm one of the customers he refers to and the "Real" one is Deks ! Fortunately they know more about tyres than real Cobras and fitted my Galaxies for a good price.
    Nope - it was Tyres Northampton over by Wickes; Scotts are a lot closer, though! I just didn't know they existed

Not much completed today really - I popped the current (possibly temporary) dash back in again; I'm sure it will need re-working, possibly for radius requirements and probably because there will inevitably be electrical gremlins.. I'm still not sure how the radiator fan is supposed to be switched in the wiring loom I have (which came with very, very basic instructions from S-V-C), for example, so that will be interesting. Still, the immobiliser still works, and I've properly fitted the little red LED now so the IVA man can see it go blinky blinky.

Does look a lot more like a car with some floor carpets, seats and dash in. Just still missing the bit that makes all the noise..
    My DeDion build diary..

My bases (same as Jon's) have two holes in them, side by side.. my windscreen only has one row of 2BA holes that secure the frame to the screen (in a vertical line)? Plus the two tiny 4BA holes in a horizontal line near the top for the soft top latches.. so did you just use one single 2BA hole, which would leave the mirror able to rotate around that screw given enough force?
    - technically yes! why not just drill a c/ hole in the mirror base and go the same way?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

- technically yes! why not just drill a c/ hole in the mirror base and go the same way?
    If it stays put with just the one screw .. that'll work Just waiting for some longer (but not too long!) 2BA screws to arrive.. if they were anything metric - or even UNC/UNF - I'd probably have the right size already. Ho hum!
    My DeDion build diary..

nope...
    You’ve made sone great progress since Dek and I visited, It’s really coming together. Hope to see you join the Convoy to Stonleigh in May
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast