Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Your almost there with the smaller flange but as you say the corners are tight. Are you using 0.625" 1.6mm 304 stainless. I would wait until the heads arrive as you might make them all to nicely fit and fined your flange openingmatch the port exact so your tube inside might then be to small!

I would make a tamper drift mandrel to force the corners tight out of high grade steel and apply heat.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Interesting suggestion Kevin - I wonder if Anthony has a source of pre-formed starter tubes..

So, as Jon suggests, one flange is probably a bit too big for the tubes; let me explain:

By beating the round tube square(ish) and then stuffing it into the larger flange, this is about as close as I can get it - when I tack the tube in and then start heating and beating, I end up breaking the tacks.. not to mention I can't hold it tight enough even in the big vice! A far cry from the video Jon posted of "Just tap it four times then gently tap the corners out on a sandbag"!

But I have a slightly smaller flange - this one seems to be sized almost exactly for the Edelbrock heads; actually I think it will be too 'small' by the thickness of the tube, but I can't tell that for sure until the gaskets arrive from the US (in lieu of having the actual heads and engine here):

Except, this is as close as I can get the tube to fitting right now, as I can't get the corners 'tight' enough - I need to make a precisely formed drift, I think, and press it into the tube; or press the tube into a former:

This illustrates the problem. I'd worked out, mathematically, the "ideal" perimeters of the inside of the flanges but hadn't accounted for the rounded corners, so rather than model them in CAD and measure them there, I just used masking tape:

So the large flange is comically oversized for 2" tube (and yes, the 2" tube is on-spec) needing a lot of stretching to be large enough, and almost exactly the right size for the smaller flange. I actually think I might need to have more flanges cut with a slightly larger opening..
    Aaron

That's exactly how I made mine, are you getting the tube hot before you try and dress it into the radi of the flanges? I was getting mine more or less cherry red, heating from the internal side of the stub and I found once very hot it went in easy. I was heating the amount of tube in the corner to the thickness of the flange, if that makes sense, so I just didn't bend over a few mm of the tube. Once cherry red they went easy, its just I couldn't see any heat discolouration on the tube stubs, and without a hydraulic former I don't think they will move that much. Heat and plenty of it may be your friend.
    David

Ta Da!

Having moved the Cobra down to the bottom garage, sold a lathe, built shelving, painted, reorganised to make space, moved something big into that space and serviced the fiancee's car.. I figured it was about time I actually did something on the car! So I started the process of Cardboard Aided Design to box in the radiator and make mounts for the oil cooler - I don't know if the oil cooler will be functional or just pretty yet (certainly just pretty on first install) but I still don't want to just bolt it to the bottom of the scoop, so out came the stanley knife and old boxes. Just need to replicate it in aluminium now and get it installed. Figured I'd start with something small ish that I can complete, before moving on to the other jobs on the (new) list..

My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I am looking forward to seeing you deal with “Ok Camp”
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021

My handwriting was never great.. and it gets worse the older I get! That says "Oil lamp?" (because it's been so long I can't remember how I wired it.. d'oh!)

My favourite thing on that list is how I reduced a huge job to just "Exhausts" ..
    My DeDion build diary..

Can’t remember if you’ve already posted about this, but is that a single or 3 phase Bridgeport? Have you got it running yet?

I remember that the 3 phase can be entertaining to wire up. Easy enough to hook in a 3 phase to single phase VFD, but I also needed to rewire inside the main control box.

It’s been a while but (on my Adcock and Shipley) some of the electrics we’re actually 240v. The control box on the lower front plus the X axis power feed etc. It took a bit of figuring out! My VFD supplier helped me out quite a bit but you may have a greater grasp of the magic pixies than I do
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

hurray, some movement happening at Camp Aaronjb - lol

Some lovely stuff in the garage there Aaron - SGS toolbench - nice one

what lathe on the greeny/blue stand - i've got the stand (Clarke CL range lathe stand, with a CL500M 3 in one on it - or was till last weekend when i got my new workbench delivered)

That mill is a monster too

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Finished templating the mountings up for the oil cooler this afternoon - lack of materials stopped play as I need to order in some metal (I'm thinking 38x12mm aluminium angle which I can cut 'n shut to make the lower mount - rigid and light).. thinking about what to do tomorrow while I wait, just need to find a nice small job to tick off so I feel like a little progress is being made.

Took a breather after that and knocked up a second clamp for the welding table - been meaning to do that for ages. I really should have knocked more of the zinc plate off the bolt before I started welding (cough cough! Fortunately there's an extractor fan above the bench..) but never mind, done now! I went slightly overboard with clamps to keep it perfectly vertical while welding:

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Can’t remember if you’ve already posted about this, but is that a single or 3 phase Bridgeport? Have you got it running yet?
    I have! Sort of.. I opened the motor up to find that (sadly) it was permanently wired for 415V in Star configuration - I strongly considered un-binding the windings to find the star point (like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1rpez4uon0) but it's old, covered in shellac etc, so I took it to a local rewinders. They were able to unpick it, pull out both ends of the windings, new bearings, blast it and paint it for £150 (bargain!) which meant I could connect it in Delta and hook it up to a 230V VFD. I did a lot of research and did consider getting a big Transwave rotary converter to run everything and step up to 415V but they are very expensive and quite noisy.. albeit if I ever get a 3ph lathe I might regret that choice as it could have run both.

I did read it's very common to have the power feed and any DRO powered off a transformer in the electrical cabinet - either 230V if 3ph or 110V.. no such luck on mine! It has the oldest style (geared) power feed which is also 415V 3ph direct and .. broken. The gears won't engage so I assume something has come adrift internally; that needs fixing.

But at least the main motor runs now and it has made chips

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    what lathe on the greeny/blue stand - i've got the stand (Clarke CL range lathe stand, with a CL500M 3 in one on it - or was till last weekend when i got my new workbench delivered)
    That's a little Myford ML7 - it was a great lathe to learn on, very forgiving! Being belt driven saved me at least once or twice when I accidentally crashed the carriage into the chuck.. but it is now dwarfed by the mill! I have half an eye out for something bigger like a Colchester Student or a mid-size Chinese lathe but priorities priorities..
    My DeDion build diary..

I thought I'd tick some of the other jobs off the list today so refitted the dashboard and reattached the main battery cable to the wiring loom, proved out that most things work as hoped - the radiator fan works when the relay switch wire is bridged to ground, oil pressure warning light works, battery light works, water & oil temperature gauges make a full sweep when their sense wire is bridged to ground.. the oil pressure gauge is broken; the self-test sweep doesn't return to 0 (but rather a random position) even when powered off so that needs to go back to Smiths for repair (it was brand new a few years ago so we'll see where I stand on warranty) and I have my headlight and fog-lamp tell-tale bulbs in back to front

I also found that the reverse light no longer works (which worked before the car moved garages) so that needs investigating, and I realised that I can't actually flash my main-beam without my headlights being on.. I think that's an IVA fail so need to sort that out.

Not totally happy with the dash, really, so might need to revisit that prior to IVA but I'm marching toward needing to look at those headers again! Maybe the metal for the oil cooler bracket will arrive and save me from that...
    My DeDion build diary..

Just had the word from Clive that the engine is ready for collection! I have a sense of trepidation that I can't quite explain .. maybe because there'll be no more avoiding the difficult jobs!?
    My DeDion build diary..

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast