Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
    Good stuff mate
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Finally:

OK, that's just me checking the new pressure plate actually fits (it does) - I haven't put the pilot bearing or clutch disc itself in yet; that's a weekend job. Then the bell housing can go back on and the distance between gearbox flange and fingers measured to determine the necessary TOB length etc.. fingers crossed that all lines up! If it does, I'll finally be in a position to mate the engine and gearbox and drop them into the car..
    Getting there, well done old chap.

Credit here really goes to Modern DriveLine - they were extremely helpful and when shown pictures & measurements (you can just about see the writing I added to the flywheel to annotate hole sizes, PCDs etc) held their hands up and said "Ah, yes, sorry!" and shipped a new pressure plate free of charge, marked up as a zero cost replacement on the invoice so there were no customs charges etc and got it here in a week. Considering I bought the kit in 2019, they could easily have washed their hands on it (the current invoices state all parts should be checked within 10 working days of receipt)!

Anyway, now that I've finished assembling new wardrobes and doing the resulting tip runs, I can spend some time in the garage this weekend
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

At last Aaron- one step forward!! You gotta hand it to them!! Great Service!!

Keep it up mate, great to see.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Bit more progress today in amongst stripping wallpaper from the front room..

Got the clutch pressure plate and friction disc bolted up, torqued up and loctited in place. Measured the distance from gearbox flange to clutch fingers, then set the concentric throwout bearing to give 0.125" clearance per the Tilton instructions - the gearbox is now ready to mate to the engine at last!

So I thought I'd better take care of a few things in the engine bay that are more easily done when I can stand in the engine bay:
    - Drilled, tapped and cleared a spot for a new M8 ground stud for the engine ground strap
    - Plugged up an unused hole in the drivers footbox
    - Put a main +ve 'passthrough' between the drivers footbox (where the main 50mm battery cable comes down) and engine bay to go onward to the starter & alternator
    - Fitted the external regulator for the alternator

Which leads me to a question..

I have an externally regulated alternator, so have to sort a little wiring.. it's not super complicated and this diagram from ERA seems to explain it nicely:

However, while they show "A" going to a switched live (which is a little more difficult as there isn't a switched live nearby), this diagram shows A going to a permanent live:

I have a vague recollection that hooking "A" (battery sense, I think?) up to a permanent live leads to a parasitic draw that will flatten the battery though.. anyone know if that's the case? If so I'll have to find a switched live to use instead, but hooking it to the alternator battery stud or the battery sense wire would be much easier
    My DeDion build diary..

I promise I'll take some pictures of progress next time I go to the garage, but it's all baby steps at the moment. Over the last couple of days I've managed an hour or so each day, but I've:

- Bonded in a bunch of 'big-head' fixings so that the alternator regulator, battery pass-through stud, fuel line P-clips etc are all 'one handed' operation where you don't need to be both in the footwell on the nut and under the engine bay on the bolt.
    - Re-bonded in the big-head fixing for the drivers side vent again .. brand new tube of Carbond instead of expired Wurth, so I am pretty sure it really is stuck this time!

Seeing as none of you answered me about the alternator I decided it wasn't actually that much work to wire it in with a permanent live and then measure for any parasitic drain, so that's what I spent this morning doing. Obviously it's not actually fitted because the engine isn't there, but electrically it is temporarily wired in and sitting there. Just need to re-fit the dashboard (for the warning lamp) and main battery cable and then see if a) anything catches fire and b) it will drain the battery when not being used.

If b) turns out to be true then I'll find myself a switched live for the 'A' terminal per the ERA Replicas instructions.

It does feel good to be making progress again, even if I am only finding an hour or so a day at the moment thanks to someone scheduling meetings from 4pm-8pm every evening!
    My DeDion build diary..

A little bit each day gets something done no matter how small, and it's usually the small bits that never get done. Well done keep it up, push for that engine fitting day 👍

I am almost at the point of being able to drop the engine in - I'd love to get to that on Sunday (Saturday is penned for boarding up the old fireplace)..

The fiancee has even suggested I raid the wedding fund and farm out having the headers made rather than doing them myself (I think I had quotes of ~£1600) to save some time - although with the added complication of trailering the car somewhere.. but headers and water pipes would be the only thing preventing a start-up at that point! And technically I guess I could start it with no water in it, briefly..
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I am almost at the point of being able to drop the engine in - I'd love to get to that on Sunday (Saturday is penned for boarding up the old fireplace)..

The fiancee has even suggested I raid the wedding fund and farm out having the headers made rather than doing them myself (I think I had quotes of ~£1600) to save some time - although with the added complication of trailering the car somewhere.. but headers and water pipes would be the only thing preventing a start-up at that point! And technically I guess I could start it with no water in it, briefly..
    Have a quiet chat with Dave Brookes. He has, or had jigs to make up the headers for the Dax/Chevy set up. He did mine 250 miles away from my car many many years ago. And they fitted. And they're still fitted! If you supply the bends, he may be able to accomodate you.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast