Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
    Good work that man, should be able to hear it running son down here in Reading when you start it up, up there

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Good progress, I expect a first start video next weekend
    I wish! I think I'm a long way off first start, sadly.. six months, maybe? All the plumbing needs doing but the big things are the headers and coolant pipework.. neither of which is going to be a quick job, even if I farm it out. In fact, today, I feel no closer to 'first start' than I did before I put the engine in!

Went out today for four or five hours and managed to..

Fit the alternator - yes it's as close to the head as it looks:

Make up a bracket for the clutch feed:

Found that the clutch reservoir was leaking (of all the places!) - I think I've fixed it now but I can't be sure until it sits a while.. it's either leaking from the stupid push-in rubber fittings on the bottom, or from the clutch feed on the left; again, not sure so I tried to address both of them!

And then I hit a snag... two snags, really.
    First snag - the thermostats I ordered, which are the right diameter for the little 'elbow' coolant outlet off the intake manifold (for a remote reservoir), are too small for the OE "Galaxie" style header tank .. like, rattle around in the hole small. Weird, and annoying.. I'll have to see if Real Steel or anyone has one in, but does anyone running an FE have a part number handy, by any chance?

Second snag, and more major than the first .. the header tank, which had to be lowered significantly to clear the bonnet .... does not clear the distributor on the new engine

Annoyingly I had this header tank lowered and remanufactured at some cost and .. it doesn't fit. Not sure what to do about this - I need a header tank, obviously, and it can't be any lower or it won't be the highest point in the system, so the header tank needs to move 'forward' .. but that means lower as well! Either that or the distributor needs to be different, or with the vac tank in a different location.

I don't suppose anyone else has had this problem, have they? Long shot given the lack of FEs in Daxes..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I wish! I think I'm a long way off first start, sadly.. six months, maybe? All the plumbing needs doing but the big things are the headers and coolant pipework.. neither of which is going to be a quick job, even if I farm it out. In fact, today, I feel no closer to 'first start' than I did before I put the engine in!

Went out today for four or five hours and managed to..

Fit the alternator - yes it's as close to the head as it looks:

Make up a bracket for the clutch feed:

Found that the clutch reservoir was leaking (of all the places!) - I think I've fixed it now but I can't be sure until it sits a while.. it's either leaking from the stupid push-in rubber fittings on the bottom, or from the clutch feed on the left; again, not sure so I tried to address both of them!

And then I hit a snag... two snags, really.
    First snag - the thermostats I ordered, which are the right diameter for the little 'elbow' coolant outlet off the intake manifold (for a remote reservoir), are too small for the OE "Galaxie" style header tank .. like, rattle around in the hole small. Weird, and annoying.. I'll have to see if Real Steel or anyone has one in, but does anyone running an FE have a part number handy, by any chance?

Second snag, and more major than the first .. the header tank, which had to be lowered significantly to clear the bonnet .... does not clear the distributor on the new engine

Annoyingly I had this header tank lowered and remanufactured at some cost and .. it doesn't fit. Not sure what to do about this - I need a header tank, obviously, and it can't be any lower or it won't be the highest point in the system, so the header tank needs to move 'forward' .. but that means lower as well! Either that or the distributor needs to be different, or with the vac tank in a different location.

I don't suppose anyone else has had this problem, have they? Long shot given the lack of FEs in Daxes..
    I don’t run vacuum advance on mine, that’s an option possibly. Otherwise it looks like you will have to lengthen the bottom pipe of the tank.
    Or, can you pull the dizzy and move it a few cogs on the cam gear. Might that allow you to get the vacuum housing in a different place???

Oh, and the thermostat, they’re an odd size, will have to look it up but a Shogun one is in my mind. Will try to remember/find where I got mine.
    If you measure the recess that will help you

Great progress - well done Aaron.
    You could ofcourse just tie up some wires and give it a li'l blast before it gets hot

On the header tank thermostat issue, couple of things: I had to make up a 10mm ali spacer on the header tank inlet to buy some room in that area - ali plate from ebay and lots of chain drilling, filing and sanding, and lapping.
    You might need to check clearances with the bonnet though.

Also, why not pull the dizzy out and move it round a bit, and then just re-order the spark plugs? btw, pulling the dizzy out and re-seating it is a bit fiddly....at least compared to the old RV8 I used to have.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

You don't need the header tank to be at the highest point, you just need the filler to be there along with a take-off for the pipe to the header which can then be anywhere you like.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I don’t run vacuum advance on mine, that’s an option possibly. Otherwise it looks like you will have to lengthen the bottom pipe of the tank.
    Or, can you pull the dizzy and move it a few cogs on the cam gear. Might that allow you to get the vacuum housing in a different place???
    Aaron, I don't have an FE like you but do have the 460ci 385 series, I run the same header tank and the top of my thermostat housing is a fraction higher than the header tank cap and I don't get any issues with air locks, just burp it with the cap off and it should be fine, that's all I do. As the others have said can you not just move the dizzy around a few teeth ?

Just checked my car, the tank is higher and therefore clears the dizzy more than yours. I guess you have tailored yours to suit bonnet. Mine is up near the bonnet but my engine might be in a different place. I made my own mountings and positioned it as I wanted it rather than using anything by Dax.
    Moving the dizzy a few cogs seems the best option

so I think that's 3 of us saying move the dizzy round - that sorts that out.
    You might not need the vac advance anyway - I have tried 3 times to connect mine, and the engine hates it, but I still have a couple of mods before its permanently ignored.

Another little dog leg to this:
    That pressure cap looks a bit old - what pressure does it blow off?
    After I had sorted out the timing mess on my car, it then spent its first summer blowing coolant out everywhere.
    Wrong value pressure cap, so much for a so-called Turn-key solution - Real Steel supplied a nice shiny 20psi (IIRC - I need to check that) cap and all my problems went away - very frustrating!!!!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I had a problem with vacuum on the dizzy being in the way of the top hose on my RV8 - I just rotated the housing to move it out of the way and made a different connection Cylinder 1.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast