Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
    Thanks both! I was over-thinking it, thinking that the Ignitor had to be 'timed' to the distributor body somehow, but of course it doesn't, it's timed to the rotor arm (effectively) so as long as #1 is still #1, #1 is #1. Er.. made sense in my head, anyway; if it doesn't fire or coughs flames out of the carb, I'll know I've got it very wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    My advice is pay the £1600 and get them done properly. It’s a tricky job and you could get very frustrated!!
    Yeah, I was having a look again tonight and cutting out the footwell didn't really seem to gain me any meaningful space, so it's just as difficult packaging-wise as it was before, and I'm very tempted to farm it out.. of course I expect the £1600 to be more like £2000 by the time all is said and done as it'll need transporting there and back, and prices have probably risen since last time I asked! I do feel a little sad, though, that I wouldn't have done that part myself.

Weekend away from home this weekend for the OHs birthday, but I got down the garage today and:

Popped the carb on - at least now I can get the throttle cable made up and attached, and figure out the fuel lines:

Clocked the dizzy and got the header tank on:

I will still need to make up a spacer, though, as the dizzy and header tank are rather intimate right now:

I also ran the final leg of battery cable to the starter motor and started wiring up the alternator and other bits on the engine (temperature sensors, oil pressure etc) and started re-routing the fuel lines around the gearbox. Reasonably productive day..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

yup, looks similar to what was happening on mine. Reckon a 10mm spacer and you should be fine.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Hm, it's been a while since I updated, but I haven't been (completely) slack.. in fact, I've finished wiring in the alternator (not a 1-wire so several wires and grounds etc) and got all of that tidied away. Wired in the starter motor trigger and got all of that plus the main battery cable clipped away.

I then took care of the last leg of fuel line from regulator/filter to carb:

Annoyingly I couldn't find black long-length carb fittings anywhere so ended up with blue.. I'll track some black ones down eventually. They need to be extra long in order to clear the vacuum secondaries linkage on that side.
    I'm hoping I don't need to P-clip the remaining length of fuel hose to anything as there isn't much to clip it to - I could lengthen it and take it to the firewall, then P-clip it there, but that feels like I'd be overly constraining it given engine movement/vibration, to me.. IVA examiner may disagree, of course!

I made up that spacer for the header tank:

Was remarkably easy in the end - I've somehow ended up with several of these elbows:

So I just lopped one off at the joint (hacksaw, took seconds) and then faced it off in the lathe to make it flat and parallel. Sanded the chrome off and painted it flat black.. should do and now the distributor clears the header tank.

Things left on the list now are:
    Coil and pressure/temperature sensor(s) wiring on the other side of the engine
    Coolant hoses (inc. heater hoses)
    Throttle cable
    Headers
    Maybe re-do the dashboard
    Carpets
    IVA test

One of those is a big job, and the last quote I had was £5000 so.. er.. gulp? Seems everyone is busy making exhausts for the classic race circuit cars (BTB have done exhausts for real Cobras and GT40s, Ollie has done them for historic Formula cars) so is both booked up for months and eye-wateringly expensive!
    My DeDion build diary..

It feels like not much has moved on, but little bits of progress here and there.

The coil, water temp, oil pressure & temp sender wiring is now all complete and secured per the regs.
    I've moved the remote oil filter down a little bit and forward a touch to clear the underside of the bonnet and give a bit more clearance to the coil & radiator pipework.

So the pre-start to-do list is still:
    Radiator pipework & heater hoses
    Throttle cable
    Headers

Those damn headers..

Still, I did finally use the mill for something (slotting the mounting holes in the oil filter relocation bracket):
    My DeDion build diary..

That's handy having a milling machine to do brackets and small parts. Not all of us have a lathe and milling machine lol. Small steps and progress. I bet this weather makes all the difference. Maybe to hot in the garage but great for driving out.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556