Indicators flash speed not equal

Hi, anybody got a clue?

Indicators at IVA with the BMW indicator arm worked perfectly.

I have since fitted the Spyada (still can't spell it!) Rear LED L542's and changed to the VW indicator arm.

Now 1 flashes at normal speed, the other, off side, slightly faster,

Any ideas or where to start??

Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Relay for LED's?

Check the earths?
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

What sort of flasher unit (electronic or mechanical)?
    Cheers

Myles D-W

If it was a bad earth would it still flash?
    It's a Lucas loom, the flasher relay is a black square 3 pronged relay, I do have a spare somewhere, I will start with swapping that out - once I find it!
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

If it's a mechanical flasher unit then if one side has a slightly higher resistance than the other (poor connection), less current flows and the flasher operates faster. I guess the connections to the new VW arm would be a good place to start. I would suspect the LEDs last because they draw very little current.
    Last edited by mylesdw; 26-05-20 at 06:15 AM.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

have you got a different mix of LED/incandescent bulbs on one side compared to the other?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

The VW arm is an original item, it may be faulty or dirty, the bulbs are all the same as before, I have a spare reproduction VW arm so I can swap them out and eliminate that. Thanks

The standard flasher relationship relies on current drawn to heat up an internal bi-metallic strip to create the switching mechanism. Change in current flow will change the switching speed. So as others have posted, there’s likely to be a different current flow between sides to create the different flash rates. This could be caused by a multitude of reasons mostly linked to high resistance connections reducing current flow. Also changing to LEDs will reduce current flow and while it’s unlikely to cause a difference between sides it is possible. If you had a slight high resistance connection at some point with normal higher loads from the normal lamps the relay may not have been significantly influenced by it. When changing to lower loads (LEDs) the ‘small’ poor connection could now be larger in percentage of the load so now influences the relay operation? I fitted LEDs to mine and to avoid the relay flashing at a different speed I also installed load resistors across the LEDs to give the same current as normal bulbs. If the relay is so sensitive to small resistance changes you may want to consider something similar?

Or fit an electronic unit. Cheap and reliable.
    Cheers

Myles D-W