Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Motor

Starter Motor

So went to start the Cobra today and just get a single click from the starter motor each time I press the starter button. Battery is good and fully charged. I’m thinking it’s probably the solenoid on the starter?
    Regards

Jonathan

AK427 - Huddart 383 Chevy - Build Start Sept 2008 and on the road May 2011

Has it been standing for a long time.
    Do easy checks first. Clean battery terminals and.check for tightness.
    Battery charge can be miss leading but if its just a click . The ring grear could be stuck rock in gear . Then retry.

Give the solenoid a tap with a hammer it may have stuck.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Thanks Jon, battery terminals are clean and tight, also tried rocking the car back and forth whilst in gear, still the same.

Kev, I’ll try the tap with hammer tricks next!

Always worth checking to make sure you are getting a good earth to the starter .
    Chris.

I'm having similar issues however I get repeated clicking and the alternator moves very slowly when cranking. Think the solenoid is ok as supposedly had it rebuilt last year after starting issues. Have tried hitting with a hammer, and rocking in gear to no avail.
    Either; my battery is dead or I was ripped off by my normally good local garage who did the 'repair' last year.
    Any thoughts?
    How did you get on with the hammer Jonathan?
    SHELBY :- Dax, Chevy 350, Tremex, side pipes, blue + stripes, cream leather... Beautiful

Out of curiousity, have you checked the voltage on the battery when at rest, when charging and when you try to turn the engine over?
    I can't remember which car it was, but i would get the solenoid sound but it wouldn't hold enough power to turn the engine over. It was a dead (not flat) battery. The battery wasn't charging properly. The indicator on the charger said it was charged which was where i was initially misled but when charging, it wouldn't get above 12v (should charge alot higher).

Just a thought.

If you have a volt meter to hand, the voltage across the battery terminals before attempting to crank engine should be at least 12.2v and on the start position (cranking) it should not drop below 9v after 10 seconds,if it does it usually indicates a faulty (sulphated) battery.
    Chris.
    Last edited by Chris1; 13-04-20 at 09:49 AM.

are you in a position to jump start it off a running car
    -at least you ll have good volts/current,
    if the brushes in the starter are needing replacement or solenoid is worn out you'll eliminate any battery /cable probs
    neil

Mark, Chris, Im hoping it's as easy as a dead battery. It's only 7 years old though so thought it'd last longer than that! I don't have a voltmeter to hand but might make a trip to get essential supplies later which may include a multi meter or even dropping the battery into the garage to measure CCAs too. Might need a new charger (and trickle charger!) too. Ho Hum. Any suggestions on either?
    SHELBY :- Dax, Chevy 350, Tremex, side pipes, blue + stripes, cream leather... Beautiful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast