Paint recommendations

So looking for a bit mote advice. Im currently in the process of overhauling my jag hubs etc, they are mostly done and will need to be paint in the near future to protect them. Any recommendations on paint, stone chip etc. Ive heard hammerite is one to avoid. Would appreciate hearing what you all used and any tips. Cheers

Aerosol of chassis black speeds things up, blanking off all mating surfaces and thread holes etc. If your budget can stretch to it, powder coating would be even more chip resistant and, really pushing the boat out, zinc plating (blue, yellow, black passivate) pre-powder coat. I used Silchrome and they’re not too far from you, being Leeds based. HTH:

http://www.silchrome.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    So looking for a bit mote advice. Im currently in the process of overhauling my jag hubs etc, they are mostly done and will need to be paint in the near future to protect them. Any recommendations on paint, stone chip etc. Ive heard hammerite is one to avoid. Would appreciate hearing what you all used and any tips. Cheers
    Hi Marko,
    I will back that up about avoiding Hammerite or smooth rite due to it flaking after a few years.
    At the time I thought it was a good idea to use smoothrite ,now it is nessary to source something more suitable.
    The best option is proberbly to get them anodised if they are already stripped apart, I'm not sure of the cost for this.
    Would be interested in other methods for painting or spraying.
    Chris.
    Last edited by Chris1; 19-04-20 at 08:35 AM.

POR15 is very good paint and sets rock hard.

The prep process is quite laborious/time consuming and must be followed strictly.

Hand application is best as the fumes from spraying are nasty.

Also make sure you don’t get any on your skin, it won’t come off. So PPE is essential.
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    POR15 is very good paint and sets rock hard.

The prep process is quite laborious/time consuming and must be followed strictly.

Hand application is best as the fumes from spraying are nasty.

Also make sure you don’t get any on your skin, it won’t come off. So PPE is essential.
    How good is this on the ally jag hubs ?
    I found that the smoothrite seemed to be good on the underside of my powder coated srv8 chassis and the cast iron suspension components.
    The notable problem was on the rear hub carriers.
    regards,
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    How good is this on the ally jag hubs ?
    I found that the smoothrite seemed to be good on the underside of my powder coated srv8 chassis and the cast iron suspension components.
    The notable problem was on the rear hub carriers.
    regards,
    Chris.
    I don’t know how it would be on the ally hubs, I just cleaned mine up and left them unfinished. POR is an abbreviation of Paint Over Rust.
    https://www.por15.com/
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021

Another one for POR15. As KugaWestie says its a three stage prep.

1. Wash down with supplied clearer. ( You can dilute this down 50/50 water or less as I found on the on line video)
    2.Rust neutraliser
    3.Two finish coats
    It is not UV stable but if its under the car I cannot seeing it being a problem.

Wear a mask even when painting as the fumes are not nice.

I am well happy with the finish and it is hard as nails.
    I went with the starter kit as I only had the Diff to paint but it goes a long way as its very thin. Apply very thin coats.
    Its has a strange drying process in that it dry with moisture from the air so do not apply it on a wet day as it will dry to quick.
    Have a look at the online you tube videos at the process.
    This is the best video I found but he does not use a mask ! and it needs well ventilated area. I did mine outside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c606z0NhMFQ

The end part is impressive showing how strong it is. I have put it on a shovel as a test and its not yet come off . Very impressed.
    Last edited by jon1d; 19-04-20 at 12:29 PM.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

As said above, powder coating them is the best job if not the cheapest. Once baked on it remains slightly flexible which helps to resist chipping and done right is amazingly tough.

Gather up a few parts as there’s usually a minimum charge, so it becomes cheaper the more parts you take in a batch. Ring around a few local coaters. Some are much more cost effective than others. They’ll blast your parts prior to coating them so you get a proper surface to adhere to.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    I don’t know how it would be on the ally hubs, I just cleaned mine up and left them unfinished. POR is an abbreviation of Paint Over Rust.
    https://www.por15.com/
    Thanks for the info ,think I will give it a go as there are a few bits that have lost there lustre over time .
    Originally all the cast components were sand / bead blasted by myself ,some people that I spoke said the same about the ally hub carriers as you ,was to leave them just blasted.
    On a completely different subject away from paint drying etc ,
    What I did discover was that when I removed my near side rear wheel it was noticed that the flexible fuel hose going to the steel one had started to perish!
    No leaks or smells present .
    Changed all the flexi pipes in the boot and fuel pump area ,so will put this down to being a very useful excise!
    Chris.
    Last edited by Chris1; 19-04-20 at 03:05 PM.

I used POR engine enamel for painting my Chevy lump - came up great, so it's a solid system. If I were to recon' suspension parts again though I'd zinc coat and then powder coat, but it's a personal choice and saving some money may factor in. As Lloyd mentions, powder coating might be a cheaper option than a POR system?

Vapour blasting of ally parts brings them up looking new so ideal for those Jag hub carriers - it is an added cost though.
    Last edited by String; 19-04-20 at 03:56 PM.