Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    443

    Sd1 long nose pump.

    With reference to the sd1 water pump,
    Does anyone now if you can cut the length on the nose section ?
    If so by how much without weakening the pump ?
    I am sure this has been done by someone before.
    If I had an old pump then I could see if it would be an issue,
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Reading, Berks, UK.
    Posts
    1,708
    The MGB V8 is the shortest water pump for the V8 you can buy.
    GWP 310 I think, but check.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toton, Nottinghamshire
    Age
    48
    Posts
    900
    I had a cut down 'non-viscous fan' type water pump running happily for many (~20) years. The seals and bearings went eventually and I replaced it with a 'viscous-fan' type pump which is a lot shorter.

    Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    The MGB V8 is the shortest water pump for the V8 you can buy.
    GWP 310 I think, but check.
    Thank you both for the replies,
    I think your right about the mg gwp 310 but was not sure if it is compatible with the sd1 timing chain cover ?
    Chris.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toton, Nottinghamshire
    Age
    48
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    Thank you both for the replies,
    I think your right about the mg gwp 310 but was not sure if it is compatible with the sd1 timing chain cover ?
    Chris.
    The MGB V8 used the same pump as the Rover P6 and so won't fit the SD1 cover.

    Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lanarks
    Age
    65
    Posts
    698
    Not so

    All P5 P6 water pumps will fit the SD1 cover.

    However, the pump pulley will not line up with the crank pulley.

    Yes - you can cut the SD1 pump nose off. You'll then need an electric fan.

    Have a look at Kuga's build on here. I think he did the same and shortened the pump nose for a bit of clearance.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Not so

    All P5 P6 water pumps will fit the SD1 cover.

    However, the pump pulley will not line up with the crank pulley.

    Yes - you can cut the SD1 pump nose off. You'll then need an electric fan.

    Have a look at Kuga's build on here. I think he did the same and shortened the pump nose for a bit of clearance.
    I remember now you have mentioned the fact about the alignment issue,
    Thats the reason why I used a new sd1 pump about twenty five years ago.
    The pump on my cob is still good at present but am looking at parts that will need changing at some point .
    The clearance on x member to pump nose shaft is less than a quarter of an inch which has never been a problem .
    There is no requirement for the standard fan on my cob due to twin electric fans so I will remove (shorten) the nose section at some point .
    This will give ample clearance.
    Thanks,
    Chris.
    Last edited by Chris1; 27-06-20 at 04:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Reading, Berks, UK.
    Posts
    1,708
    Just swap the pulley about I had this set up when I had the rover engine first time, can't remember what I used pulley wise but managed to get it to work ok

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •