Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    hi

first, thanks for the help, good to see the forum is still so helpful!

I took the alternator off (very hard to get the connector off with it in place).

What I found was that inside the 3 wire connector the small wire from the dash has a spade connector on it that is held in the right place by the plastic connector housing....I think that since it was last fitted probably 10 years ago, it wasn't on the connector properly, it was just jammed down the side and had probably got a bit corroded or mucky and finally lost its connection. So after cleaning it a little and putting it back together again it worked perfectly....thank goodness as seems alternators are tricky things.

After this I went for a spin round the block, car is still fab, a few things need tidying but its still great fun to go out in.

Tony - hello mate - been a long time, still got your big yellow beast? I will try and get to a meet sometime and catch up !

Regarding MOT, no problem, I know the garage very well and he knows me very well.....so anything minor he trusts me to fix....like the emissions which I have a tuning session booked with sidecarbod for and no reverse light which I told him about in advance and have a new gearbox switch ordered. Having a sensible, careful garage is really useful.

cheers

G
    Last edited by chedz; 07-08-20 at 02:01 PM. Reason: SQL Error:100 - row not found
    Share your Cobra knowledge here on the Sumo Wiki
    ...and don't forget, building cars is meant to be fun!!

How is Mr Sidecar?
    Has he still got his Sumo.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Nice fix. They are the best ones. No cost and you found it.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Hey Graham
    Be great to catch up
    Are Sidecar, Nobby and Noel still active
    Tony
    The Yellow Crendon 427SC, 448 FE Ford & Tremec TKO600. 2008 till RIP.

Just to close this thread off for future generations. I found the charging was linked to revs. At tickover no charge at all and at high revs it was about 13v. I found the alternator brushes were very tired and the wire to one of them was literally hanging on by a thread....I changed them....it was still the same. I then had a good look at the diodes and found one was broken/burned out and the connector joint was very dry. I couldn’t find new individual diodes so bought a new diode/rectifier block from eBay for a tenner. Five solder joint later it’s all working perfectly again.

The alternator was a valeo VA100, the manufacturer don’t hold any specs or spare parts (shame on them) but it turns out this is basically a Lucas unit. The part number for the diode block is RL-08HV. The alternator originally came with a jrv8 engine.

So hopefully another 20 years in this alternator for £13 all in and less landfill!

Thanks for the earlier tips...Kev you were right!

Hope to see some of you over the summer.

Graham

Hi Graham,

I can't believe that it's 20 years since you got that engine from us ...............where did that go !!

Regards
    Jim

Don’t worry Jim it was only 12 actually.

Engine is still purring like a kitten by the way!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12