Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    The late 90's Ford Transits used a vac pump that was
    incorprated on the back end of the 70 amp alternator.
    That was used for the diesel models .
    I used one of these alternators on my RV8 but removed the vac pump
    due to not being required in my case.
    Chris.
    That’s interesting. Didn’t know that. Will report back on effectiveness of this little pump at some point

Just taken a call from the machine shop. My 302 is back from the balancer's and all is ready to go. Exciting! Also be good to get the mountain of boxes (heads, pistons, manifold etc etc) out of the workshop and bolted on to the motor!
    Will post some pics soon. The gearbox is also ready and looks amazing, all cleaned up and refurbished.
    Once I get all that together I can sit it in the car and try to figure out the engine and gearbox mountings. It previously had a BMW in it and the Ford is totally different. I am going to have to weld a couple of chassis members in (40 x 40 stainless box). Bought the material from NextDay Metals which I recommend for stainless and alloy, great company. It will be an in out operation a few times but that's how it is. I'm sure I can figure it eventally.

Now to get that engine built.........
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

OK, so I have made a start

Got the cam, crank, No1 piston and timing cover on. Also gapped all the rings. I wanted to get the timing cover and new harmonic balancer on as the balancer has three sets of timing marks! Got to love the aftermarket. So was eager to get the new timing pointer on and calibrate No1 at TDC. It was actually straight forward enough. Got No1 at TDC and guess what, the pointer lined up exactly with the only set of timing marks on the rear of the balancer, leaving the two sets on the front side to confuse someone else in the future!

Crank thrust was good and camshaft end float good too. The latter was a concern as for whatever reason the previous cam had been wildly moving which buggered the cam, dizzy drive and I reckon caused the bent pushrods I found.

Next job is to get the other pistons in. I have to say I have been struggling with the bloody stupid spiral gudgeon pin retainers on the Keith Black pistons. Anyone got the knack? Total PITA. Am thinking I will stick circlips in instead (just like the old FE). Did everything as instructions but just found them incredibly tight to get in nice and snug, especially the second ones when you are pushing on the pin. Just don't like them! Maybe I should have stuck with the press in pins but I thought floaters would be better. Am using Eagle rods. Any helpful advice gratefully received!!

The other thing of interest is the KB pistons require a 26 thou gap on the top ring, 16 on the second. I have it on good authority if you don't follow instructions then the top of the piston will pull off! So for once, I have followed instructions!!

A couple of days off now but it should hopefully come together quite quickly next week. Will take some more pics. Got it on a proper stand now which wasn't possible first thing today due to a UNC bolt length issue!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine where Mahle so not sure if we talking about the same sort of clip (you can just see it between the wrist pin and the tool in the 2nd image) or not, but when I build my 347 SBF I made this handle little tool, the screw is used to walk the spring clip into the groove

Regards
    Russell

Oh! yes those spiral clips are a right pain in the arse.
    By the time you get to #8 you'll get the knack.
    You need to stretch them a little bit before you try to fit them.
    I was going to offer a loan of my engine stand but you already have one.
    My own 302 has spiral clips.
    The last one I built for someone else had press pins (got them fitted at a local engineering shop).
    Trouble was he fitted two of them backwards initially so they had to be removed and refitted.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Thanks guys. Yes, stretched them out but still couldn’t get them in easily and the second ones impossible! I have ordered some circlips. Life is too short to worry about such things! To be honest, I was worried about damaging the piston, they were that tight. I might be thick but my engine building buddy couldn’t get them in either, so I’m wondering if I have a bad batch. Will try circlips next
    Those mahle ones look a lot better and what a lovely tool!!!!

Are the piston grooves the same for both clips?
    I would definitely check that!
    I've seen what happens when a clip comes out and allows the pin to move sideways. (Jaguar V8 production engines).
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Are the piston grooves the same for both clips?
    I would definitely check that!
    I've seen what happens when a clip comes out and allows the pin to move sideways. (Jaguar V8 production engines).
    It looks like a clip will be ok. Obviously not designed for one but I think it will work. To be honest, I have zero confidence in those bloody spirals, especially after I have been twisting them about!!! My buddy (who builds hundreds of engines mainly Rover V8's) was very scathing of the spirals and I'm with him!! I have measured up and hopefully ordered the right clips from Bearing Boys. Will let you know and post a pic when happy!!!!

So who said those spiral locks were hard to put in???? I had another go after speaking to a mate who said it was easy (one mate told me he just uses his fingernails, well not with these!)! Watching the Summit video was really helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2t3b29beE&t=282s and I recommend this to anyone BEFORE trying to do it.

Still a bit tricky with the 'triple spirals' that come with the KB pistons. Apparently a lot are 'only' double - that does sound easier. The change that allowed me to do it was the piston clamp. There is absolutely no way I would have got them in without one. The advice on the Summit video was to 'stay calm and take your time'. Good advice. I set the clamp up on Mrs P's kitchen island unit (bless her), good light behind me and a coffee by my side. I can see why people say it's easy to do them, as once you have cracked it, they aren't too bad but you need the right kit (good clamp and a small screwdriver) and most importantly you need to be in the right mood!!
    Anyway, they are done!

Engine is now on stand and waiting for those pistons. Will crack on tomorrow.....................

Like the look of that engine, coming along nicely. Did you get the new body shell yet?

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast