Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I've used a Davies Craig pump before and they are good. If you could put an air bleed from the top of the radiator to the header tank, a long way but a small bore rubber pipe would work, that should cover all eventualities. No where for that pesky air to hide then.
    Thanks for that. Yes, I have a take off on the rad for just that purpose. Another long run! Should go down the side pod.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Thanks for that. Yes, I have a take off on the rad for just that purpose. Another long run! Should go down the side pod.

Seems like you've got it all in hand.
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Seems like you've got it all in hand.
    I doubt that! It will be interesting to see how it runs. I’m a fair way off that at the moment. Will get there though!

Chris, I’ve had several GT40 replicas (18+ now.....Almost lost count)
    a few points (based on experience)
    Electric water pump (not essential but helps keep temps down particularly after stopping the car, leave the EWP running for 5 mins to re-distribute the heat)
    throttle cable, make sure it is heat shielded around the engine or the type that trucks use near turbochargers......trust me, a sticking throttle cable is NO FUN!
    clutch line, 3/8 rather than 5/16, MUCH better clutch control, less issues.
    low/short dizzys are available for Fords

have you dropped the engine from the standard position? Depending on the sump, it’s possible to drop ENG/box by up to 1-1.5 inches.....gives a tad more room.

simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Chris, I’ve had several GT40 replicas (18+ now.....Almost lost count)
    a few points (based on experience)
    Electric water pump (not essential but helps keep temps down particularly after stopping the car, leave the EWP running for 5 mins to re-distribute the heat)
    throttle cable, make sure it is heat shielded around the engine or the type that trucks use near turbochargers......trust me, a sticking throttle cable is NO FUN!
    clutch line, 3/8 rather than 5/16, MUCH better clutch control, less issues.
    low/short dizzys are available for Fords

have you dropped the engine from the standard position? Depending on the sump, it’s possible to drop ENG/box by up to 1-1.5 inches.....gives a tad more room.

simon
    Good tip on the throttle cable - I had not thought of that. I could drop the engine lower, I have clearance on the sump but I am at the lowest I can go without the driveshafts fouling the chassis I think. It might mean a rake in the wrong direction - i.e. gearbox higher than engine. Will have another look at it
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

I can recommmend Felsted Cables for high quality stuff. I believe they used to supply the F1 teams.

3/8" clutch line is massive; I've never heard of one greater than 1/4" and I can't see why it would make any difference to clutch control?
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Got the body! Here we go!!!! Just had a quick look and the fit looks good. I know where I am now, I can hopefully crack on (although the cobra is calling today with the sunshine out)

Dashboard fits in and thankfully my new steering column will line up with the moulded position......

The central body will sit down once I have cut the hole for the wiper motor - just goes to show how close the different manufacturers are with the mold..

The rear (MK1) shell is in much better fettle than the original (MK3)

Doors with T Tops

T Top retainers - to be honest I can't see me ever putting the tops in, running 'open' appeals to me. Time will tell

And the front - went for the twin vents although a single is available
    Attached Images Attached Images

And the front - went for the twin vents although a single is available

Sorry - here is the front

Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. I expect that releases lots of work for you now you have some reference points
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Very nice. I expect that releases lots of work for you now you have some reference points
    Exactly, now I know where I am I can fit things properly. I have been hanging back worried that if I fitted things it might mean rework when the body arrived. I am amazed the dash fits so well. Underneath there is a mess of really bad welds and some pretty ropey metalwork that supported the MK3 dash and the top of the steering column. I have some new s/s 25mm box, now I know where I am I can cut the rubbish out and replace it with the new stuff. The doors are going to be a challenge I think, but we will see. Hopefully I can fettle something that will work with the Tornado hinges I have bought. I can also paint and fit the aluminium inner wings I have made.
    Very impressed with the Tornado body. Looks really good. Andy Sheldon (Tornado owner) has a brand new aluminium bodied cobra with a side oiler in it! Really nice. Had a good look at that with him too. Dave Brookes built it.
    Lots to do! Just need to get my son's house finished first! Now Daughter has bought a new one too! Ah well, there's always next winter!!!!!

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast