Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Those mouldings are beautiful. This car fell into the right hands. Love it.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Have dropped the central section, the dash and the front on today. I had to alter the chassis to get the front on. It was too wide where the Tornado headlight moulding is, just by about 15mm each side. I deliberated whether to hack the body or 'slim' the chassis and in the end opted for the latter. Still work in progress but I have it under control I think!

I also had to hack some of the rough metalwork out of the dash area in order to get the dash to sit right. Again, I know where I am now and can weld some new strength in there and pick up the steering column etc

But, it's all getting there! I'm glad I hadn't fitted the panels I made as this body is a slightly different shape and I can now make a better job of it by altering the chassis to fit the body. That way it will close all the gaps, improve sound and water proofing and also give the body better support. I am aiming to get all the panels roughly in place and then take stock and modify as required.

Although I am keen to crack on I also want to enjoy my cobra and I have 16 hives of bees that require attention this time of year!! Plus I've got the front of my son's house to put back up! Never a dull moment. The '40 is calling though.................really enjoying it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

I managed to get a few hours in the workshop today. I have tackled the problem of the front clip not sitting down properly. I could see the chassis just hanging below the front (air intake) and also felt the body was not quite sitting right. Having had a chat with Andy Sheldon at Tornado he told me that the rear of the clip (where it abuts the door) should be absolutely upright. It wasn't. It looked like the front needed to go down about 25mm and that meant cutting the chassis as it was sitting tight as it was. I also had to 'sculpt' for the headlight units. These were just hitting my existing chassis.
    Before I got the grinder out I added a couple of braces so that nothing could move. Not that I was too worried as all the very front is doing is holding the radiator and the clip/bonnet.
    First I cut 25mm out of the front uprights - you can see the braces I added too

This image shows the 'sculps' for the headlight moulding and the cut to allow the front to drop. Again the brace is holding everything in place

Then I welded it all up and smoothed off the welds and added some strengthening to the back of the 'sculpted' areas

Job done!

Dropped the clip back on and it sits perfectly now, the air scoop covers the chassis at the front and the door jamb is perfectly upright. I have ordered some rubber bumps to help support the body. Now need to try to work out the hinging. But first I am going to try the rear and see how that sits down. It's all very tight back there. I am worried I might need to lower the engine which will be a bit of a pain but at least I have made the mounts fairly easy to adjust (I hope!!)

Fabulous work Chris.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

I like it, that's going to look fabulous. The fibreglass sections look really good quality. What's the plan for the externals? I like the less is more look, as little bling as possible as close to a "factory" original race car as you can. But its your car of course, just don't do it wrong...........

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    I like it, that's going to look fabulous. The fibreglass sections look really good quality. What's the plan for the externals? I like the less is more look, as little bling as possible as close to a "factory" original race car as you can. But its your car of course, just don't do it wrong...........������
    Well the plan is for a JPS themed livery. No chrome as such, but decals in the spirit of the Lotus Cosworth of 1972. Nothing really to do with GT40's but of the period and 'different'. So many Gulf cars and Le Mans cars out there. I like to be a bit different. Hence my Cobra is as it is. Very much in the spirit of a Cobra but not a 'true replica' by any stretch, even though it has a period correct 427 engine. I always liked the JPS livery as a kid. So that's where I am heading at the moment. All that matters is that I and Mrs P like it!!!!
    I am not planning to sell it, so it really doesn't make any difference if others hate it!!

No, i can see that looking really good. As you say its you that needs to love it but that sounds interesting. I always loved the JPS livery, nearly bought a JPS Europa twin cam about 30 years ago, wish I had.........

Bugger! Tried the rear clip this afternoon and as I suspected the chassis is too long! The MK3 body is obviously a big longer. So I needed to cut off the rear end. I will have to work out a way to get it braced back together. I also have an issue with my gearchange support, that needs shortening too.....

Need to cut off the rear horizontal member and the diagonal pieces

And now the chassis looks like this!!!!

But the body at least now sits on there. I now have to figure out what to do with it. I need to work out the hinging mechanism too and provide chassis support for those

Now it's on there I can see the engine is indeed a bit high. I did think it might be. Once I have the body sorted and sitting right with the rear chassis repaired I need to look at the engine. Nobody said it would be easy!!!!!!

Good work.
    I would have been tempted to insert a fillet in the grp to lengthen it, and left the mechanicals as-is, or perhaps I misunderstood?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Good work.
    I would have been tempted to insert a fillet in the grp to lengthen it, and left the mechanicals as-is, or perhaps I misunderstood?
    A fillet would have worked but I am happy with an angle grinder in my hand!! It keeps the body as it should be. Only took 5 minutes to cut it out, I am hoping an hour to get it back!!!!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast