Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Your making great progress. Great to see the body arrive. Must of felt like Christmas.

Your rear gearbox mount look quite sturdy. I know there is a lot of movement and seen supports fracture on a road trip in Europe. Some movement on the mounts is necessary.

I think its the twist and mount positions acts like a pivot point putting a lot of strain through the rear fixing points.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Your making great progress. Great to see the body arrive. Must of felt like Christmas.

Your rear gearbox mount look quite sturdy. I know there is a lot of movement and seen supports fracture on a road trip in Europe. Some movement on the mounts is necessary.

I think its the twist and mount positions acts like a pivot point putting a lot of strain through the rear fixing points.
    Could be. They have a rubber bush inside with a stainless sleeve, you probably know the sort. Do you think that's too much/too stiff?
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

The ones I saw where solid mounts so no flexibility so yours might be ok . Worth seeing how you get on with your gear linkages.

I imagine that's entirely appropriate, if its rubber then it will have a lot more give than a poly bush for example and they are adequate for such a purpose.

Oh dear! Well that's the polite way of saying it!! I am now starting to understand the relationship between my new Tornado Sports Cars body and the chassis I have. The front end I have pretty much dealt with, the rear however is another matter! I showed a few pics of me shortening the rear end in order to accommodate the Mk1 body. I have now worked out a plan to rebuild that part and provide structure for the hinging of the rear section. However, there is a much bigger issue. Talking to Andy at Tornado I should be getting my engine down another 40mm, i.e. so the bottom of the oil pan sits in the same plane as the bottom of the car. If I do that, then I stand a chance of getting the standard Tornado exhausts out of the appropriate holes in the body. The other option is to leave it 'high' and bespoke make some pipes to get me out, that is if I can get enough space between the engine and the body!! I also have an issue with the air cleaner which is currently sticking through the rear window!! So down would be better.
    It's a bit of a minefield.
    I have had a good look at the chassis construction today. To lower the engine that much then I need to cut out the rear around the suspension mounts and put new chassis structure in place 40mm lower. Otherwise my driveshafts will not clear the chassis. I also have a cross member that will foul the gearbox. It's fairly major work. My first thought was to leave it as it is and get around the issues but thinking about it I am minded to cut it all out and do the job properly. Better to have a lower centre of gravity. Much cheaper to use the Tornado exhausts and I know they will fit below the body if the engine is where theirs is as will the air cleaner.
    I think I can stabilise it all by welding in some new structure before I do any cutting and not let any of the suspension points move. I would then cut all the offending metal out and put in the full new structure. I would also have to drop my (new!) engine and gearbox mounts and the gearbox linkage. A lot of work but would get it 'right'!
    Still looking and thinking. No rush. The cobra is calling and the weather has to improve! Life goes on. Anyway, it's only time, cutting discs and welding wire!!!!

Blimey - how the plots always thicken, eh? I think the extra work for the 40mm drop sounds well worth the time and effort. Anything else would be a compromise. Sounds amazing though, and so worth it. Love the updates!
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

I think you will have to do it. If you don't you will be unhappy with the compromises and will regret it even subconsciously. If you cut it all out and lower it all you know that its right and ultimately you will have more enjoyment out of that in the end even if it causes some grief in the short term.

I think you guys are right, I have to do it!!!!

Here is the problem. I set my engine height at the lowest possible to get the driveshafts out above the chassis rail. You can see, I only have 10mm or so. That was my mistake! I am going to have to cut the chassis and drop it. Unfortunately it is at the point where the wishbone mount is welded on the outside.

And on the inside is the crossmember under the gearbox, so this will have to go too............

And in this shot you can see end on the offending rail that effectively needs to be dropped to the lower level rather than the 'ramped up' position it currently has.

All bit of a pain but has to be done! I just need to get myself in the mood. Have been fiddling with the cobra this morning instead!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a pain but it could be worse at least you are able to drop it in line with the rest rather than having to drop it below other extant framework. No, as much as its a pain I really think you have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    That's a pain but it could be worse at least you are able to drop it in line with the rest rather than having to drop it below other extant framework. No, as much as its a pain I really think you have to do it.
    Yep, will do it! Need to get in the right frame of mind and will get that angle grinder going again!!!!! I suspect it's one of those jobs that once I set to it will go fairly quickly.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast