Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Great work, definitely the correct thing to do. Really looking forward to following this thread and seeing the progress.
    Thanks both. I hope to have more progress than snags at some point!!!! Will get there (eventually!)

Yes, the right solution and it did not take long in the grand scheme of things.

Good work Sir!
    My hat is off to you.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Good work Sir!
    My hat is off to you.
    Thanks Kev
    I don't think either of us foresaw what was to come with this chassis!!! Despite the hassle, I am enjoying it. I just hope it handles OK when it's all done!!!!
    Hope you get yours sorted soon - sounds like that's been a real pain
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

After a few days away from the 40 ( I even managed a trip in the cobra to a car meet on Wednesday - which meant I spent half the day yesterday cleaning the car after driving on sodden roads) I have started the other side of the chassis and hope to get that done today or tomorrow. It's going fine, much easier having done the other side. Will then have a look at the engine mounts and see if I can get it down to the level.
    If anyone is interested, I am welding the stainless with an R-Tech Mig using the Spool Gun function and pure Argon. I have a 0.7kg spool of 1mm stainless in the gun. There are two advantages of using the spool gun, first it has a 4m reach on the cable whereas most standard mig cables are a lot shorter meaning you need to move the welder to get around the car. Second, I can buy small spools of brass, aluminium or stainless and leave the steel wire in the mig welder. I find the spool gun really good, the wire is right there so when welding ally there is little chance of bunching or catching.
    I am also using an R-Tech Plasma Cutter. Sounds like I am sponsored by R-Tech but I'm not! I just find their kit really good. My mates (one of which builds race cars) also use their stuff.
    Right, coffee is gone, back to it............................

ChrisP,

I know the R-Tech welders are great. I was looking at TIG but looking at the R-Tech Mig and spool gun it does look good. The interesting part i it does aluminium as well as stainless. Some good videos on there site showing aluminium. I was surprised how clean a weld you can achieve with the spool gun on aluminium.

I guess your welding 304 SS ? Are these the spools your using 308lsi ?

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/sifm...-sif-wo331007/
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    ChrisP,

I know the R-Tech welders are great. I was looking at TIG but looking at the R-Tech Mig and spool gun it does look good. The interesting part i it does aluminium as well as stainless. Some good videos on there site showing aluminium. I was surprised how clean a weld you can achieve with the spool gun on aluminium.

I guess your welding 304 SS ? Are these the spools your using 308lsi ?

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/sifm...-sif-wo331007/
    Yes, using 308 spool. And don't forget you can use brass and braze with them too. Very flexible. I have an R-Tech TIG. I should sell it really. I hardly use it, the Mig is so much easier and quicker and yes, you can get some decent welds on ally with practice (as good as my tigging but that's not saying a lot!!). A lot more skill with TIG, and probably a lot more practice too. For whatever reason, I have struggled with the TIG hence I use the spool gun. If I had had the spool gun before the TIG I wouldn't have bothered buying it.

R-Tech are fairly local to me too so makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    R-Tech are fairly local to me too so makes it even better.
    Great support, too. The only product of theirs I've been disappointed with (I've got their AC/DC TIG170 - wish I'd bought the 210 but hey ho - and a mate has their MIG set) is the XXL auto-darkening mask.. it's working alright with replacement guts, though, so I can't fault it too much (and they supplied replacement guts at 11 months old without question)

Eventually I'll replace the old Clarke MIG set I have with one of theirs .. eventually.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Great support, too. The only product of theirs I've been disappointed with (I've got their AC/DC TIG170 - wish I'd bought the 210 but hey ho - and a mate has their MIG set) is the XXL auto-darkening mask.. it's working alright with replacement guts, though, so I can't fault it too much (and they supplied replacement guts at 11 months old without question)

Eventually I'll replace the old Clarke MIG set I have with one of theirs .. eventually.
    what was the issue with the welding mask?

was thinking of getting one as I’m not happy with my ebay special
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

OK, have finished both sides of the chassis alterations around the driveshafts and taken the engine back out today. Having looked at my options, I decided to cut out the chassis rails I added in for the engine mounts and lower the whole lot 40mm. That avoids any tight spots around the starter and also allows me to use the standard oil filter housing on the block rather than a remote one (just a matter of space).

I have cut out one side and got it ready to go back in. I also took the opportunity to cut out the old BMW engine mounts out too.

Should get it back in tomorrow and hopefully get the other side done. Would be nice to get the engine back in too but will see how it goes.

Will post some pics when I have it done.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast