Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Worth checking the valve springs, v the cam lift x rocker ratio If you have bent push rods but no piston damage it could be the valve springs binding. Too much lift for the available valve travel etc.
    Have junked the entire top end and bought a matched up set from cam upwards including big valve heads but have the high compression Keith Black pistons to allow the clearance (dish one side, dome the other). Will check clearances and machine the domes if necessary. They are solid apparently. Hopefully as it is all matched it should work out of the box. Valve springs should be right for the cam. Definitely need to make sure cam end float is right as it wasn’t in the previous build. I think that may have been a factor in the bent valve. A chip off the cam might have rolled under the lifter. Will never know, but it was all knackered!!

Interesting build Chris, enjoying this and looking forward to seeing the results.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Interesting build Chris, enjoying this and looking forward to seeing the results.
    Thanks, so am I!!!! It’s trying me a bit at the moment. Being a bespoke chassis I am a bit knackered trying to work things out to fit the body I’ve ordered (MK1 Tornado) but haven’t got! For example, getting things like the pedals and steering column to work with the Tornado dash. There is a small indentation in the dash with not a lot of tolerance so the column needs to be pretty accurate. I know I need to move the existing position but am coming to the conclusion that in order to avoid the risk of a lot of rework I might just have to wait until I get the panels and dash. At least I have the engine to build meanwhile!! Picked up a LOT of boxes last week. Christmas has come early!!!

I think it best to wait until you have the body and panels, setting up a different pedal box and steering setup was difficult enough on the RAM while I had it all here! FWIW I put a tilton 600 series pedal box in and have a speed sensitive PAS with NO assistance over about 30, happy to discuss if it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    I think it best to wait until you have the body and panels, setting up a different pedal box and steering setup was difficult enough on the RAM while I had it all here! FWIW I put a tilton 600 series pedal box in and have a speed sensitive PAS with NO assistance over about 30, happy to discuss if it would help.
    Yes, would be interested in the PAS system, thanks. Not sure what to do with that yet. I don't have PAS on my cobra and it is fine until you come to park! I manage though. The GT has a BMW power steering rack in it at the moment but I really do not want to be running a pump plus the pipes all the way the length of the car, so that needs to come out.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Drop me a PM with a number and I will call you and explain what I have done with my PAS and why, I think it could be what you need. I have not gone down the usual corsa route for good reasons.

On those Project Binky videos they used an electric power steering pump from a Jag or some such. Had the reservoir built in and means you could mount it close to the rack.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    On those Project Binky videos they used an electric power steering pump from a Jag or some such. Had the reservoir built in and means you could mount it close to the rack.
    I wondered whether there might be something like that around. That would allow me to use the current rack and mounts (I admit, I hate waste of any sort!). Will look in to it, it's worth investigation

Myles

Found this on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htrz_Wn4SZ8 which is exactly what you suggested using a Volvo (it's actually Ford) electric pump which looks easy to wire and plumb in. I'll give it a go. Got to be worth a try. I have no real experience of playing with PS systems. My tin tops have it but my cobra doesn't (and is fine without it for me).
    I have no idea how the BMW rack will perform with this pump or indeed without it as the pump is switchable. If the steering was OK with no assistance when driving, it is feasible I could switch the pump off and only use it for parking etc. Anyone know if that might work?

I also like the idea of being able to switch the PS on when pushing the car about in the workshop with no engine running. If I didn't have the PS rack though I wouldn't bother!

So now I have potential electric PS, electric water pump, electric vacuum for the brakes and two bloody great cooling fans! I can see a big alternator being necessary!!!

There is some sort of matching needed pressurewise between the pump and the rack but if you are planning to switch it on just for parking it may not matter. You could have some sort of speed sensor that just switched it on automatically below (say) 4mph. That would help the battery/alternator situation too.

I'm guessing the GT40 is quite light at the front so probably the rack with no power will be fine for normal driving.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast