Thread: Spark plug lead

Spark plug lead

Having just attached my AK manifolds i notice that in some instances the end of the spark plugs are close to the fabricated tubes, so close in fact that it may be necessary to remove the existing HT lead cap and find an alternative which will fit in the tight space. My initial concern was that there could be a chance of the spark plug arcing out to the manifold, but of course in theory with a good suppressing cap this should not happen.
    Anyone else had a similar problem ?.

I don't think a supression cap has anything to do with arcing to nearby metalwork. The small right-angle silicon caps will survive for quite a while in extreme heat but will crack in the end. I'll grab a photo when my camera's charged...
    Cheers

Myles D-W

My leads are also extremely close to the headers which are wrapped. But in my case, unless there is direct contact, the leads wont burn with the wrap in place. I did get some contact earlier this year and it burned, so had to replace.

David.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Google images
    TVR chimaera exhaust manifold and look at their spark plug shrouds

Assume this is a SBC. A typical issue with the design of the heads. Right angle leads are the way to go (and keep and eye on them and a spare or two in the boot).
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Yep, all about the angle. I use 45 degree ones, suits my heads/manifold. MSD also do a long flexible one that you can essentially shape to whatever you need. They call it a multi angle terminal boot! Not tried them but they do look useful

Yep, been there and as said I also keep a couple in the boot. Also I use Spark plug lead heat shield sleeves and push them right up to the spark plug on my SBC rated to 1800 deg for extra peace of mind
    AK Gen 1, SBC 350, 3.54PL Diff, Getrag - Build Start 03/09/2010 Passed IVA 01/09/2014 On the Road 01/10/2014

You need spark plug lead heat Shields for those leads that are anywhere near the headers. I had an IVA fail where a lead had started to discolour/burn due to heat.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com