Sierra driveshaft outer CV joint rim deforming...

Hi hi!
    I thought i posted this yesterday but can't find it now so apologies if I'm repeating myself...

The passenger side wheel CV boot keeps splitting. At first i thought it was just age but last time i changed it there was some deformation of the rim.
    This time the rim looks like someone has beaten it into an octagon!? (as per pic hopefully)

There is nothing in the subframe so i guess it is the prop shaft hitting it on extreme bumps, or the bearings are shot or both?

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Its Sierra running gear (possibly estate?).

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?

Looks like a bit of an unusual problem this but that would be viper builds for you...

Took the spring and shock out and it looks like the CV joint hits the upper spring mount at full bounce on this side. I cut a bit off it to make some more travel but it happened again so this time i have added a 20mm hard rubber bush onto the shock strut to limit the upward travel of the wheel. Did both sides while I was at it.

Only done about 100 miles but so far so good on this mod.
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.

Looks like a bit of an unusual problem this but that would be viper builds for you...

Bit unfair to blame the kit type when the builder has a greater influence over problems as with every kit?
    Dek

Not unfair at all to blame these rubbish kits Dek. In fact its rather unpleasant to be blamed for the incompetence of Ken The Clown Cookie Cooke. These kits are not like every kit and that why they went bust!? Everyone who bought one wanted their money back...

This accusation is not a sentiment I have ever encountered on here before and I strongly disapprove of it. I've seen more contempt voiced on here in the last 2 days than the last 10 years?? No refurbished parts?? 50k kits or nothing?? the problem is not the kit its the builder???

It used to be that if you were doing it at all, well done you. Regardless of how badly or slowly. In fact, the point of this forum was to get help for the problems that came up, both self caused and otherwise. Sometimes with a roll of eyes but never with a snort or a sneer?? Seeing advice being dished out without proper investigation of the problem was troubling me, but this is a different level of rot...
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by Deck View Post
    Not unfair at all to blame these rubbish kits Dek. In fact its rather unpleasant to be blamed for the incompetence of Ken The Clown Cookie Cooke. These kits are not like every kit and that why they went bust!? Everyone who bought one wanted their money back...

This accusation is not a sentiment I have ever encountered on here before and I strongly disapprove of it. I've seen more contempt voiced on here in the last 2 days than the last 10 years?? No refurbished parts?? 50k kits or nothing?? the problem is not the kit its the builder???

It used to be that if you were doing it at all, well done you. Regardless of how badly or slowly. In fact, the point of this forum was to get help for the problems that came up, both self caused and otherwise. Sometimes with a roll of eyes but never with a snort or a sneer?? Seeing advice being dished out without proper investigation of the problem was troubling me, but this is a different level of rot...
    Declan, it’s a bit unfair to tar all Viper kits with the same brush. You’ve got to remember they weren’t all supplied by Ken Cooke. Mine is a Cobretti Viper supplied by Bob Busbridge and they weren’t rubbish kits. As far as I know Bob is still business. You have to be careful when using the generic term “Viper”. Essentially there were three main versions. The Ken Cooke Brightwheel, Classic Replica and the Bob Busbridge Cobretti Viper. Bob made his own body and chassis so although looking similar they could be very different cars. Yes, they could be more challenging to build than other kits at the time but with perseverance and attention to detail a quality Cobra Replica could be produced. I like to think mine falls in this category and I’m sure Kuga Westie’s recently completed Classic Replicas Viper does. I don’t know if you had a bad experience with your Viper supplied by Ken Cooke and if you did I’m sorry to hear that but I know Bob Busbridge has many happy customers.
    With regard to your comments about the forum I certainly can’t agree with them. People on here are full of admiration, as I am, for people who go down the self build route and are only too happy to provide help. It’s not my impression anyone sneers. Compared to other forums I visit this one is very grown up and civilised.
    The point about self building I was trying to make was that the best kit in the world badly put together will still be a bad car. For the purpose of clarity I’m certainly not suggesting for a moment yours falls in that category. I’m sorry if you’re offended but this is an unarguable fact.
    Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 11-04-21 at 07:54 AM.

Ok Dek, and I see what you mean. There must have been 100's? of Viper kits made and the 10 or so I've witnessed being worked on here, including my own, may not be indicative of the brand. I must add though, the ones I've witnessed being built are the only kit that I know of where the builder needs to have a welder on hand and has invariably need to take an angle grinder to the body shell to get a satisfactory result. Kuga Westie and Outcast being just the latest examples. My guess is that any unfinished Viper kits still out there are best left to builders of their outstanding skill and industriousness...or be willing to take the long and winding road like I did.

I'm glad that the random threads I've been reading are not indicative of the whole site. I'm sure that when I was looking for help on my particular issues or reading about the exploits of others over the years, there was always a cohort of builders who were faithfully recreating their dream cars and it looks like this group has expanded. There definitely weren't so may 427's about!? This is a good thing! Over the recent few days I've been looking (again not very extensively I admit) I get the feeling that I'm not sure I would have a, asked the questions that I did and b, got the answers that I got. I'm also feeling guilty that I haven't been able to commit the time and give back some of the help I've gotten over the years, maybe once the youngest is in school, etc, etc... I'm sure the kit suppliers have upped their game too so the instructions are a bit easier execute?

I believe nobody who intends to drive the car they are building, puts it together "badly". Everyone who takes on building a kit has a good idea of what's involved and I think that anyone who finds themselves beyond their abilities or their budget, soon tires of the project and eventually off loads it. I know I'm an optimist and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so I don't see "bad" the same way...
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.

Without knowing the angles involved, could you be at the maximum angle for the CV joint at anytime during the supension travel or have you ever run the rear jacked up whilst on full droop? The inner part of the CV would then be running around the edge that's deformed?