Tonneau template or loan in Hampshire

Now my car is on the road and behaving itself Im thinking about paint and finishing touches. Im not bothering with a roof but do want to do a tonneau.
    Wondering if there is a standard template for them or if anyone around south Hampshire might be willing to lend me theirs so I could take a rough template of where it sits ? I have found a place in Waterlooville who can make it for me.
    My car is an SRV8 with a full roll hoop but I expect most kits like Dax, AK are going to be relatively similar.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Quote Originally Posted by pevans View Post
    Now my car is on the road and behaving itself Im thinking about paint and finishing touches. Im not bothering with a roof but do want to do a tonneau.
    Wondering if there is a standard template for them or if anyone around south Hampshire might be willing to lend me theirs so I could take a rough template of where it sits ? I have found a place in Waterlooville who can make it for me.
    My car is an SRV8 with a full roll hoop but I expect most kits like Dax, AK are going to be relatively similar.
    They are all different. I tried a Sumo Pilgrim on the Crendon - it was too short by several inches. Roll bar placement and steering wheel position are also different on different cars.
    Its not difficult to make a template from card or stiff paper, but when I looked, most trimmers quoted the same (about £4-500) whether it was a supplied template or you dropped off the car with them for fitting.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks Kevin, I guess I am looking for what is 'right' in terms of shape and clip locations. Im sure I saw a drawing in the past but cant find anything on line.
    Paul

here yago:
    http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/orig...7-cobra-2.html

Going to get one myself eventually, but it won't be entirely 'period correct'...not that 427S/Cs ever had them fitted anyway , as it will stop before the backleg of the rollover hoop.
    Last edited by KevinW; 11-11-20 at 07:41 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Thanks for the link, I have ended up taking some of that and searching images on the internet. Having looked the only thing to consider would be a soft top for the rear stud locations but as I am not bothering with one it doesnt really matter. I have also found a local trimmer who will make one from scratch with a zip down the centre for £500 which sounds reasonable for a one off.
    Paul

Off the shelf from Pilgrim or Ak is probably 400 so £500 isnt the worst price in the world if its from scratch...

Although buying the fabric and cutting it to size yourself might save a few quid - makes it simpler job for him just to edge trim & add zip & steering wheel section.
    Last edited by AlexB74; 13-11-20 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pevans View Post
    Thanks for the link, I have ended up taking some of that and searching images on the internet. Having looked the only thing to consider would be a soft top for the rear stud locations but as I am not bothering with one it doesnt really matter. I have also found a local trimmer who will make one from scratch with a zip down the centre for £500 which sounds reasonable for a one off.
    yup, that does seem to be the going rate.
    If you plan to drive the car with it fitted, you might like to specify a couple of straps in matching matereil with popper or velco fitting so you can roll the drivers side back for driving in a neat 'swiss roll', and just unroll and pull the zip when leaving the car.

Some people have had a bad experience with that driving style with flapping causing the tonneau to rip, or damage the lift-a-dot. I never had a problem, but I used press stud poppers.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

good point, Im sure they will do that if I ask.
    Paul

I have a tonneau cover on my RAM if you want to use it as a template. RAM and SRV8's are very similar in dimensions.