Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Complete Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Flembo View Post
    That is a very good idea thank you. Really confused as all of the vendors sell what i want, but with different components included. Just trying to be cautious and not make a mistake that will later on bite me in the bum.
    That approach will pay dividends. There’s no rush and in fact not a few of us are on second builds having refined what we like during build 1!
    They are all slightly different but if you take enough time one will stand out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Aaro ,What's your spare engine ?
    Why an FE, of course!

At one point I had three - the original 390 (FE#1) got shipped to Portugal and is now in a Thunderbird (which is quite possibly where it started life, too!), FE#2 (the 42 is in the final stages of becoming a 462cu stroker (at least, so the engine guy tells me) and FE#3 is another 390 truck block currently taking up space in the engine bay as a 'buck'
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Why an FE, of course!

At one point I had three - the original 390 (FE#1) got shipped to Portugal and is now in a Thunderbird (which is quite possibly where it started life, too!), FE#2 (the 42 is in the final stages of becoming a 462cu stroker (at least, so the engine guy tells me) and FE#3 is another 390 truck block currently taking up space in the engine bay as a 'buck'
    I think you take the prize for most FEs any man has owned before IVA!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Why an FE, of course!

The 390 crank and rods work in a centre oiler 427...............Buy a block, build a 427 and get some money back for that stroker. Or sell me the 390 and l’ll do it 😀

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Buy a block, build a 427
    that lot would burst the newbie's budget.........

Now then,now then ...........what is the cheapest Body/Chassis package out there.
    Don't all be shy.
    I'll guess £5k collected ( If travel is allowed next year)

I wouldn't discount the idea of buying a ' do-er upper', either already registered or unfinished project, that's what I did, started with a fairly tatty sumo then built a v8 to replace the v6, changed the interior had it resprayed etc etc, I've ended up with pretty much the car I want (they're never finished), I reckon in the 4 years ive had it its cost a total of a out 18k including the initial buying cost and I've had alot of fun building/ changing it, the Dax I've just bought should be on the road for less than that

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    The 390 crank and rods work in a centre oiler 427...............Buy a block, build a 427 and get some money back for that stroker. Or sell me the 390 and l’ll do it
    I looked at this route with mine, I really wanted to stay with the shorter 3.78" stroke of the 390/427. Used 427 cranks wasn't an option and new ones weren't available hence pondering a used 390. The issue I hit was the counterweights on the 390 crank are too small to balance with the big 427 pistons without some heavy metal inserts. Ended up with a 3.98" new 428 crank which is a shame.
    Have you built one before?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    I looked at this route with mine, I really wanted to stay with the shorter 3.78" stroke of the 390/427. Used 427 cranks wasn't an option and new ones weren't available hence pondering a used 390. The issue I hit was the counterweights on the 390 crank are too small to balance with the big 427 pistons without some heavy metal inserts. Ended up with a 3.98" new 428 crank which is a shame.
    Have you built one before?
    Yep, not had a problem. Have used rods, crank and flywheels. Knight Engineering are doing the machine work on my 302. I would go to them if I was doing it. They do a lot of work for Peter Knight Racing Engines. Funny enough, we were discussing 'heavy metal' inserts to balance that (it was a 'is it a 50oz or 28oz' and how does that work with the Essex flywheel conversation - GT40 configuration). It does add expense if necessary but I don't think it is an issue with a 390 crank and an early 427 (centre oiler), not in my experience anyway. Or put another way, I have raced 427's flat out with that set up without issue!!!
    Some of the other cranks are interchangeable as well (406) but if I remember correctly the truck cranks have a bigger snout on the front. 428's and 352's have a slightly longer stroke so no go with those.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

We have digressed a lot from the original post but .. I did just want to say - I did chuckle at your "Just buy a [427 centre oiler] block and.."; I dare say the block could be the most expensive part of that equation! At least, finding a good used one, this side of the pond, seems unlikely.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Here's my two penneth worth, for what it's worth..............

I bought a part finished Mk2 Pilgrim Sumo based on Cortina running gear - 2l Pinto engine and four speed box, etc, etc. I ended up re-working the vast majority of what previous owners/builders had clagged together as it wasn't very good, or it was just wrong. I got the car IVA'd last summer and it got through 2nd attempt having not passed on 6 items first time round. So age of kit is no barrier to getting on the road. As others have mentioned, to get an age related plate you need the major components from your donor - this is definitely worth getting right. Also, download and print the VOSA IVA manual - it's about 300 pages long but you need to compy with all the requirements otherwise your car won't get through the IVA. Don't get too hung up on budget and time to complete - you'll be wrong on both counts! Simple is good to get through the IVA, so an old donor gives you flexibility on emission standards for instance - if you go for fancy engine and trick components, you could tie yourself up in knots and never finish!

My Cortina based Mk2 is going to get modificed this Winter - Sierra rear suspension with LSD and Ford Cosworth V6 - not a V8, but a good engine with plenty of horsepower (200+) for a light car used on roads with a 70mph upper speed limit. My view, having driven my Cortina based Sumo for well over a year now, is that all the men, little kids, ladies (young and old), who wave and smile when you drive by, really don't care how much you've spent or what's under the bonnet - they just enjoy seeing a nice, iconic, car.

Enjoy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast