Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Newbie

Complete Newbie

Hi and good day to you all. My name is Mark and I live on the south coast of the UK. I have just been registered as disabled so I can no longer work. It has been my life's ambition to own a Cobra, I could not find a job that would allow me to buy one new or old. So with the little pension, I have, I have decided that I would like to start to build one as I now have so much time on my hands. Can I be cheeky and ask for advice on this matter, what kit to go for which company offers the best advice and after-sale service. I do have a V8 rover engine that I have had for a few years and have rebuilt from scratch. Also, I have a ZF 4HP22 transmission that is just kicking around maybe some may say that I need another engine/transmission but I was thinking that seeing I have this all stored and packaged I would start there.Stay safe one and allKind RegardsMark

Hi Mark, Welcome to the forum. The main question is what is your budget. If you have sufficient funds and time on your hands?
    The budget will drive what kit to look for and the V8 Rover engine is a good base for a cobra. Do you want a manual or auto? Consider that the clutches can be very heavy and also add in Power steering. These items will add in making the car easier to drive.
    I think a lot of people start out with thoughts of building a car for a set budget but soon realise that there costs soon escalated. Consider the time factor. Do you want a car now or drive it in three years, if all goes well.
    A rolling chassis will save you time and saving you having to do the suspension/ brakes / running gear refurbishment but you also have piece of mind that you have a good base.
    Last edited by jon1d; 15-12-20 at 01:35 PM.

Hi jon1d, I would like the wife to eventually be able to drive her aswell so i am looking down the lines of an automatic as she has strength problems with her left hip. I fully understand that this will be a project that may take a few years to complete so i am not looking at getting all the bits straight away. With a rolling chassis, what am i looking at approximately? between £10-12000. Which i would hope would include power steering radiator and so forth

Kind Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,
    There was a good article I sw somewhere about a disabled guy whop bit a cobra...can anyone else remember this one?
    I am 10 miles north of Worthing if you want to pop along and have a sit in mine..... once we get past the 3rd wave in Feb.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

If I had more time than money, I would look for an abandoned project; the original buyer would take the hit on the new-to-second-hand price of the parts and you can strip it back down and rebuild it to your own requirements.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by Flembo View Post
    Hi jon1d, I would like the wife to eventually be able to drive her aswell so i am looking down the lines of an automatic as she has strength problems with her left hip. I fully understand that this will be a project that may take a few years to complete so i am not looking at getting all the bits straight away. With a rolling chassis, what am i looking at approximately? between £10-12000. Which i would hope would include power steering radiator and so forth

Kind Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark,

The different manufacturers add in different parts in the rolling chassis options

Looking at the usual manufacturers e.g. A.K. , Dax, GD, Crendon and Pilgrim you could be a bit short on some of the manufacturers.

AK List the rolling chassis here but you also get a lot of the parts thrown in as well

https://www.aksportscars.co.uk/cobra...y-chassis-kit/

Dax

https://www.jksportscars.co.uk/wp-co...tober-2020.pdf

GD Any enquiry for prices MK3 or MK4

https://www.gdcars.com/contact/

Pilgrim

https://www.pilgrim-motorsports.co.u...lling-chassis/

Rolling chassis option looks like you have to add the parts to build it up.

Crendon ( Excellent kit and body is fitted)

https://www.crendonreplicas.com/price-list

You will be not comparing apples with apples and also watch out for the VAT.

Once you have your rolling chassis and body you will need , Brightwork, Electrics, Interior, packs. Wheels, tyres exhaust. If you use your V8 Rover with an auto box you will save you the expense of clutch and hydraulics.

These can add up very easily, then you might want a paint finish rather than finished gel £5-7k.

You might fined a part built project as suggested which will save you some costs but you might change parts not to your liking e.g. interior colour sidepipes . The standard of refurbishment might of been short cuts, if not a rolling chassis which might need additional work, so costs can add up .
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

That would be great thank you. Will look forward to getting this covid thing over and done with.

As already suggested keep your eye out for an unfinished project, they come up fairly often and can save you a bundle of time and cash.
    Also join the club at ukcobraclub.co.uk
    https://www.ukcobraclub.co.uk/join/
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Hi Mark,
    There was a good article I sw somewhere about a disabled guy whop bit a cobra...can anyone else remember this one?
    I am 10 miles north of Worthing if you want to pop along and have a sit in mine..... once we get past the 3rd wave in Feb.
    There was a guy who built an AK a few years ago. They had it on their stand at Stoneleigh. I'm sure it was in one of the mags as well.
    From what I recall, it was modified for hand controls I think.
    Bob
    AK GenII arrived 1st April
    Let the cursing begin.........

Slowly slowly catchy monkey

I have been on the sites recommended by some members to get me started on a build. Somewhat confused as they seem to offer different components to their rolling chassis, Really need some help working out what would be the best deal. But all in all i think I am looking at around the £12000 mark on getting started. Does this seem correct, as i have to bow to the members wisdom on such matters. I do realise that this will not be a cheap project but i am trying to be cautious, as this is a one off for me.

Kind Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast