Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine bay fire

Never checked the temp at exhaust but engine temp gets to 90degs very quick. Standing traffic in towns is the worst scenario. Around 95/100degs. The fan only just copes with controlling the temp. I could never rely on the Smiths electronic gauge as it will go to 120degs and get stuck! I have since added a capillary gauge which I get a better constant reading. It does take longer to get to temp but this is do to it being fitted into the top hose near the rad.
    I also have a blister near the exhaust outlet. My fault when refitting the silencer putting it too close the the body. The st/st trim around the pipe is worthwhile as you can make the cut out larger in the fibreglass

Quote Originally Posted by Russhowell View Post
    Really sorry to hear about this.
    Can I ask you and AKCharlie what temperatures your LS3 engines (not exhausts) rise to.
    -at standing
    -at cruising

Reason for asking is I am concerned mine is getting hot. Seems to get to 110 degrees on the driveway and would probably exceed if I didnt turn it off.
    Is this normal operating range?

Will also purchase extinguisher
    Thank you
    Russ
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Russ, I've never had any problems with the engine itself overheating, its happy in traffic or on the motorway in the height of summer. I use Evans Powercool as the cooling medium (although not sure if this really provides much benefit and is flammable!) along with the standard AK radiator and this 16" fan from Merlin Motorsports. I also have the larger bonnet scoop and triple nose vents.

Thanks for the offer Ant, might well take you up on that once i've found time to do some initial fault finding.

For those that don't have an extinguisher in the cockpit, i'd HIGHLY recommend it. The fear and panic that goes through your mind as you see flames lick up the side of the wing is a proper eye opener and if I didnt have it to hand I can't imagine the consequences.
    AK427 - Modified LS3 - TKO600
    Build started September 2014
    OTR March 2017

legendarydude.com

Just out of interest, are the triple nose vents before or after the radiator?
    Simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

If it's any use I have one of these ... https://firesafetystick.com/ bought from a show, but looks like you can buy from amazon. Really handy size and fits nicely in my door pocket.

Update . . . oops, noticed it's the same as the posted earlier. Sorry I'm a muppet
    Last edited by early_911; 04-01-21 at 04:37 PM. Reason: .

I also have Evans Powercool in my LS3. I did read somewhere that the engine does run ''hotter'' with Evans coolant. Not sure to what degree though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mwalker56 View Post
    Russ, I've never had any problems with the engine itself overheating, its happy in traffic or on the motorway in the height of summer. I use Evans Powercool as the cooling medium (although not sure if this really provides much benefit and is flammable!) along with the standard AK radiator and this 16" fan from Merlin Motorsports. I also have the larger bonnet scoop and triple nose vents.

Thanks for the offer Ant, might well take you up on that once i've found time to do some initial fault finding.

For those that don't have an extinguisher in the cockpit, i'd HIGHLY recommend it. The fear and panic that goes through your mind as you see flames lick up the side of the wing is a proper eye opener and if I didnt have it to hand I can't imagine the consequences.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Update: to my amazement it appears that I'd dropped two cylinders on the even bank. It's beyond me how I didnt hear or feel this, i suppose it's down to how infrequently I drive the car and the cam i've got is rather aggressive!
    Anyway, tested the spark plugs and found two faulty so i've ordered a new set and will do a full change and see if that solves the problem. I hope I haven't toasted the cat internals though.
    AK427 - Modified LS3 - TKO600
    Build started September 2014
    OTR March 2017

legendarydude.com

Did the spark plugs look ok colour or damage ? I would check a few things just incase the spark plugs could of been damaged due to the excessive heat due to the combustion being incorrect
    Check timing and compression test the cylinders would give me peace of mind. Test for any pinking under load if pre-ignition is occurring. Afr on each side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12