Thread: 15" Tyres

15" Tyres

Hi All,

I realise there is a lot on here about tyre choices but thought i would get an up-to-date consensus on the best options; Pilgrim recommend 205/60 R15 for the front and 225/60 R15 for the rear but there is talk of putting 215's on the front and 235 on the rear, even 245. I'd like as wide as possible without incurring any clearance or tyre fitment issues obviously. Galaxy (235), Kumho Solus (225) appear to be options, Image Wheels offer Falken 310 on their package (225). What are people running?

Thanks
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

I have Galaxy 235/60 on the rear of my Dax . The side walls are more vertical than the old BF Goodrich tyres. I could of gone for 245 without clearance issues.
    Having run the Galaxys in the wet and very wet conditions I can say they were not just good but brilliant on motorway and back roads. They did not loose traction once. I use to get aqua planning and traction loss with the BF tyres.

Similar to what Jon says,
    only that I did go with the 245's at the rear on my SR and stuck with 215's up front.
    I would have gone with 225's on the front but were not available at the time.
    Very pleased so far .
    Chris.

I went up from 205/60/15 and 225 (front/rear) to 215 and 235 Galaxies on my Mk3 Sumo. Very happy with them.

small.jpg
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Thats great, very helpful thanks guys.

Mathew, I assume yours were still 60 ratio profile tyres on 8.5 x 15" rear wheels and 7 x 15" fronts? Can the white Galaxy lettering be place on the inside so not visible as i want to add larger letters to my side walls?
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

I've run 215 & 245 galaxies on my mk2 for a couple of years - the 245's are near enough the same width as the 235 BFG's I used to run...

Grumbleweed - yep, they are non-directional so you can put the lettering on the inside.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Mathew, I assume yours were still 60 ratio profile tyres on 8.5 x 15" rear wheels and 7 x 15" fronts?
    I can confirm they are 60s, but I can't recall what width the wheels are, unfortunately. I don't believe they are anything out of the ordinary.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

I changed to Galaxies from BFGs on the rear a couple of years ago, really like them, the perception is better grip with the Galaxies.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.