Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Hi all, interesting thread, I too have made a square with the transfer slot but my tickover is about 900 rpm. How do I get the tickover down a bit more is it in the timing??
    Thanks,Lee
    If you want it slower (900 sounds OK to me) timing should be checked, but also check the idle mixture. Leaning it out a bit would probably slow it down. Use a Vacuum gauge to get it right. Lean it out to maximum vacuum and see if that makes any difference. I usually lean mine to max vacuum then turn the screws back a bit just to rich it up slightly. I expect others have their own preferences and overall engine set up will be a big factor in all tuning settings.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Good luck! Cobragreyhead is right about the transfer slot. Easy to get those open too much and easiest to see with the carb off. Viewed from underneath you should see a nice square hole. A rectangle means too far open.
    I’m sure you’ll sort it but if you get stuck bring the carb down here and we can do a socially distanced set up on the bench. I’ve got o rings, washers, valves and floats in the workshop. Or, as it happens, i have a spare 1850. We could do a video call set up session!! How in vogue would that be!!
    Thanks for the kind offer Chris. I’ll let you know how I get on once it’s warmed up a bit and I can drag the car out of the garage into better light.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Thanks for the kind offer Chris. I’ll let you know how I get on once it’s warmed up a bit and I can drag the car out of the garage into better light.
    Dek
    No problem. I know the feeling about warming up! Not touched the GT40 for nearly 2 weeks! It's just so hard when it's cold and wet especially for men of a certain age!! I am trying to whip up some enthusiasm now the jobs in the house are slackening off and I am getting under Mrs Ps feet at last!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Hi all, interesting thread, I too have made a square with the transfer slot but my tickover is about 900 rpm. How do I get the tickover down a bit more is it in the timing??
    Thanks,Lee
    I adjusted the secondary idle gap. Unfortunately, the secondary adjustment screw is underneath and is difficult if not impossible to adjust with the carb installed. However, (and memory is not good right now) I think it's sort of a setscrew, so you can replace it with one with a head that lets you adjust it from the side. Oh well, since I'm not clear, it's easy to see your options once you get the carb off.

It did work for me, although I doubt I gained anything from squaring up the transfer slot.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Noticed the engine wasn’t idling well so took the air cleaner off and found the reason. Fuel was dripping into the secondary chamber. A quick search shows this to be possibly a stuck float or fuel level set too high. I’ve tapped the casing with no improvement. I think next step is to remove the fuel level screws to confirm the level is high but can anyone suggest a good YouTube link for this and setting the fuel level before I balls it up. Thanks.
    Dek
    Reassuring to see my suggestion of checking fuel bowl levels and sticking floats has been backed up by the more experienced guys. As mentioned in our chat yesterday Dek , if you do end up removing the carb, it’s worth considering fitting a phenolic heat insulating spacer in between the carb and inlet manifold, to reduce the amount of heat transferring across into the carb ,and causing the fuel to boil in the fuel bowls, and squirting out into the barrels, which is a common problem on our setups, and was happening in my Holley, before I fitted one. They come in different thicknesses, so measure how much clearance you have between the top of your filter and bonnet, to see the maximum thickness spacer you can get away with fitting.

Paul
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Yes, first step is to check the needle and seat which can be done without removing the float bowl. Next step would be to remove the float bowl and check the float is full of fuel (if it's the hollow brass type). Some of the coated foam types can become fuel soaked as well.

When I had this problem (which Dek knows about) it was a loose secondary metering plate. I seem to remember they have odd screw heads, but I managed to tighten them somehow along with a new gasket. Think I modified a flat-head screwdriver, but that was a long time ago.

If the bowl comes off, you can set the float dry by adjusting the needle-seat so the float is parallel when the bowl is held upside down. Gets it close anyway. Watching for a trickle out the sight plug is messy and possible dangerous. Once close, very little of the adjustment nut is needed to make a noticeable change. I bought some of those Holley see-through plastic float bowl sight plugs, but never used them. I've been warned, that if I do, don't leave them in there as they can deteriorate and fuel can leak out.

I just run the engine for a moment or so to fill the float bowl, then shut the engine off and remove the sight plug. If fuel comes out, I adjust the float down and try again. If none comes out, I adjust the float up and try again. I forget which way the nut turns to raise it up or down, but if the float bowl is off at some point, a close inspection of how it works should reveal what's what.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Just to add my 2d’s worth, when I first put my car on the road I used a Real Steel refurbished carb. Unfortunately there was still swarf remaining in the depths of the carb and for the first few hundred miles this swarf found its way to the needle valves and made the car virtually undriveable on quite a few occasions. Eventually all this ward found its way out of the carb either through me removing it quite a few times or going through the induction system, ingested by the engine and hopefully farted out of one of the exhaust pipes.
    Since then it has given 7000 miles of trouble free motoring.

David.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

If you wind in both idle screws the engine should cut out, if it doesnt and idles normal then you have another issue, like i did.

also worth checking that bas plate is straight and not warped. And throttle spindle wear aswell.

its worth getting the ‘rebuild your holley’ book. Takes a few hours, but you learn a lot and uncover issues along the way.

Unrelated to the carb, Dek, but when we are no longer risking life and limb by breathing near one another (so, 2022?) I'd love to see the new car!

(Still putting off going down the garage .. but the heaters have been on for a couple of hours so my fingers might not fall off at least now!)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Unrelated to the carb, Dek, but when we are no longer risking life and limb by breathing near one another (so, 2022?) I'd love to see the new car!

(Still putting off going down the garage .. but the heaters have been on for a couple of hours so my fingers might not fall off at least now!)
    2021 I think you mean Aaron? No problem I’ll pop round once I’ve unsorned it. Now get in that garage! I’m just about to go out in mine to have a look at this carb without any heating.
    Dek

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast