Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobragreyhead View Post

    its worth getting the ‘rebuild your holley’ book. Takes a few hours, but you learn a lot and uncover issues along the way.
    Hi all. I'm the new owner of a 19 year old GD Cobra. It has a Holley 650 about which I know nothing. I can see that one of my new year tasks will be to become at least informed. Which of the many rebuild books is recommended?

    Good New Year to everyone.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,980
    Job done! Thanks guys for all your help. It was quite straightforward particularly having an electric fuel pump. Could do it without the engine running and bumping about. Primed the fuel bowl and took the fuel level sight screw out and although it was difficult to see it soon wet a tissue. Rocked the engine to lower the fuel level in the bowl and turned the float screw clockwise half a turn to lower the level but still trickling out with the fuel pump on. Repeated with another quarter turn and you could just see it dampening the carb and tissue slightly. Started the engine and no sign of fuel dribbling into the secondary chamber and tick over smooth at 850 rpm. Success!
    When I was younger I could barely afford to run a car, least afford take it to a garage to be fixed. So it was a case of getting stuck in and tackling it myself. Invariably if there was a Haynes manual I couldn’t afford that either. So it was a case of learning “on the job”. Nowadays though there’s so much help available such as on this forum and internet there’s no need to just wade in unprepared. I do make every effort to be primed and prepared before I pick up any tools. As John (Eggbert) says a wise person profits from the experience of others! Thanks again all.
    Dek

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Unrelated to the carb, Dek, but when we are no longer risking life and limb by breathing near one another (so, 2022?) I'd love to see the new car!

    (Still putting off going down the garage .. but the heaters have been on for a couple of hours so my fingers might not fall off at least now!)
    Silly me Aaron you don’t have to wait for the car to be unsorned you can always come round to me and if it’s a dry day I can drag it out the garage and it will be easy to socially distance. Just let me know. All the best.
    Dek

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,668
    Dek,
    Nice you sorted it. A vacuum gauge is worth investing in and they don't cost much. Good for fault finding and tuning. The holley carb is simple once you look at the holley own ones. The secondary adjustment for the pump was not set correct on mine and adjusted the mixture. It was spot on when I got it on the rolling road.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    986
    Yes, I'm pleased you have it fixed. I do wonder about it though. Has this problem always been there, or is it a recent problem? If the problem suddenly showed up, then how did it go out of adjustment? It's possible turning the adjustment cause the needle to seat properly. Anyway, being a cautious sort of guy, I'd keep an eye on it for a while.
    John

    “A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcL View Post
    Hi all. I'm the new owner of a 19 year old GD Cobra. It has a Holley 650 about which I know nothing. I can see that one of my new year tasks will be to become at least informed. Which of the many rebuild books is recommended?

    Good New Year to everyone.
    Here's two good ones. The one by Jeff Williams has some troubleshooting stuff in it, and the one by Dave Emanuel seems to have more info on modifying. Either should cover anything you need to know... I think....

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holley-Rebu...9341461&sr=8-1

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holley-Carb...9341516&sr=8-1
    John

    “A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Dek,
    Nice you sorted it. A vacuum gauge is worth investing in and they don't cost much. Good for fault finding and tuning. The holley carb is simple once you look at the holley own ones. The secondary adjustment for the pump was not set correct on mine and adjusted the mixture. It was spot on when I got it on the rolling road.
    Thanks John think I will. I’m fired up now! Now I’ve got another question. How do you know the vacuum secondaries are opening properly? Is there a way to test this?
    Dek

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    986
    Put a paperclip on the vacuum chamber rod and see if it's moved after a run. Never tried this myself.

    The way I knew they were opening is when I took a 260 lb friend for a drive. You could tell they were opening then. I think they always do open when I push it, but with just me and the car, there's not enough weight to feel the reaction from the engine, just the increase of speed.

    I suppose you could also disconnect the secondary's and fasten them so they stay shut. Then go for a drive and see if it's down on power.
    Last edited by Eggbert; 30-12-20 at 03:40 PM.
    John

    “A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    Yes, I'm pleased you have it fixed. I do wonder about it though. Has this problem always been there, or is it a recent problem? If the problem suddenly showed up, then how did it go out of adjustment? It's possible turning the adjustment cause the needle to seat properly. Anyway, being a cautious sort of guy, I'd keep an eye on it for a while.
    Hi John
    This is on another Cobra I bought recently so although it’s only done a few miles it’s a bit of an unknown quantity to me and still going through a “shake down” period. It was running very rich because the spark plugs were quite black. Initially I thought this was due to the timing which was quite retarded and it probably was but this extra fuel dribbling in wouldn’t have helped if indeed it was always like this. I did notice this after a few weeks standing so it’s possible the needle wasn’t seated properly. I will keep an eye on it though.
    Dek

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    Put a paperclip on the vacuum chamber rod and see if it's moved after a run. Never tried this myself.

    The way I knew they were opening is when I took a 260 lb friend for a drive. You could tell they were opening then. I think they always do open when I push it, but with just me and the car, there's not enough weight to feel the reaction from the engine, just the increase of speed.

    I suppose you could also disconnect the secondary's and fasten them so they stay shut. Then go for a drive and see if it's down on power.
    Thanks John I think I’ve read of the paper clip method before now you mention it. I’m also looking for a fat friend as an alternative! Skinny friends need not apply.
    Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 30-12-20 at 03:51 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •