Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polished Ali Engine Bay

Happy New Year to all,

I have a Dax Cobra and in the middle of removing the engine to enable an engine bay refresh etc. The engine bay is lined with Ali Sheet metal and is polished, same as the Rocker Covers etc. I will be polishing the surfaces again but keen that it keeps its shine for as long as possible. Is there a product that I can use to seal it, can I lacquer etc or will the lacquer slowly peel off ?

Any feedback will be greatly received.

Best Regards

Rich

Once polished, you could get them clear powder coated? Wouldn't need polishing again.

Can't say about lacquer as I've not tried it.
    I do however have a Dax with an aluminium engine bay - built 1997/98.
    I've been using this intermittently since day one - https://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/b...u-250ml-407000 (and by intermittently I mean very infrequently!) and for a 20+ year engine bay I think it still looks rather good. I'm sure that if I could be bothered to use it more often it would still look like new.

This Photo is from a few years back (latest I can find) - but still 15+ years after the build

Engine-bay.JPG

Cheers
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by glip View Post
    I've been using this intermittently since day one - https://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/b...u-250ml-407000 (and by intermittently I mean very infrequently!) and for a 20+ year engine bay I think it still looks rather good. I'm sure that if I could be bothered to use it more often it would still look like new.

This Photo is from a few years back (latest I can find) - but still 15+ years after the build

Engine-bay.JPG

Cheers
    Geoff
    That looks good. I’ve always used Autosol but think I’ll give that a try as it also contains a protective wax. Thanks.
    Dek

I find Autosol quite abrasive compared to the belgom Alu.
    They also do a 'Belgom Chromes' - that is very unabrasive, but cleans the chrome work really well.

Cheers
    Geoff

If you can get them off, chemical brightening and then clear anodising is the ultimate permanent solution for aluminium. Plenty of companies around that do it.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by glip View Post

Engine-bay.JPG

Cheers
    Geoff
    I find Autosol good for removing built up oxidation on the wheels but have been looking for a finer polish with a built in wax, so I too will give this stuff a go, thanks.

A friend of mine who brought his huge 72 Plymouth Satellite round to show me during last summer swears by “Mothers” Mag and Aluminium polish on his wheels and bright work, and “Poorboys wheel sealant” ,but he reckons the Poorboys sealant dulls down the shine slightly . I must admit for a 50 year old car, the wheels and bright work looked amazing, as did the noise from its 6 ltr V8.

Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Aluminium oxidises easily to form a protective layer, so unless you apply a permanent coating you will always be periodically be polishing.

how much will depend on the conditions that you subject the cobra to; is it dry use only, how dry is the garage?

I enjoyed the construction and use phase, I don’t really enjoy the polishing so I chose polished stainless steel for my engine bay as purely cladding for fibreglass panels and could use light gage material

if the engine is out anyway, I would at least consider changing to s/steel.

Roger
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Quote Originally Posted by RogerKnill View Post
    Aluminium oxidises easily to form a protective layer, so unless you apply a permanent coating you will always be periodically be polishing.

how much will depend on the conditions that you subject the cobra to; is it dry use only, how dry is the garage?

I enjoyed the construction and use phase, I don’t really enjoy the polishing so I chose polished stainless steel for my engine bay as purely cladding for fibreglass panels and could use light gage material

if the engine is out anyway, I would at least consider changing to s/steel.

Roger
    What gauge did you use Roger?
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    What gauge did you use Roger?
    Dek
    22 swg , just measured a piece, .028”

It has to be said that I’ve only covered the bulkhead and foot wells, not the inner arches.

Roger
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast