Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

427 side oiler anyone............?

Nothing to do with me but just saw this https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...27-race-engine

Second one I have seen on this site in a few months, the first being a centre oiler (that was UK but not sure if genuine- I did enquire).

Genuine? Who knows, so many scams around. The links take you to a bone fide site but if anyone had the money (!) lots of checking needed! Is that a weld on the front offside of the lower block (a thrown rod???). Difficult to see, not that its a problem, most of these 427's have been repaired somewhere!!

If it is for real it will cost a few quid.

If anyone pursues it I would be interested to hear..................
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

A race prepped 427? That would be horrible to drive on the road☹️

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    A race prepped 427? That would be horrible to drive on the road☹️
    I sort of agree! I've been driving one for 30 odd years. I would say it's a 'full on sensory experience' rather than horrible!! Not the easiest but a lot of fun! To be fair I have cammed it down a bit from where I had it. At least it ticks over now and with a hydraulic throwout I can press the clutch without my leg going in to spasm!! I think you either love that type of experience or it really pisses you off! I am still pretending to be 25 and long may it continue!
    Lots of alternatives would be easier to live with. Each to their own. Not that I am going to spend the money I expect this engine will fetch!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Brave man Chris,
    one of the Essex group members used to own a ram with a bored and stroked 351 which took it to 427. An absolute beast of a thing (625 BHP) and without doubt the quickest thing I’ve ever been in, however at 4-8 Mpg and brutal....well....everything, it wasn’t a car you’d enjoy taking any distance......(having said that, if the car, P2 COB, ever comes on the market, I’d have a job not buying it) my mildly tuned 302 in my Hawk is an absolute peach, quick enough for me, smooth (fairly) quiet and not ridiculously thirsty, I’d happily drive it anywhere.
    Horses for courses....
    Simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

I’m guessing you’re not seeing much change from £20k these days on a sideoiler?
    Maybe more if it genuinely is something special. But then if it is a Holman Moody maybe it ought to go in a period car anyway.

Simon, I remember that Ram.( Mike and his son used to come to the Essex meets).
    It was down for CC track day at Goodwood 90's but did not even get off the trailer due to the noise limits.
    There is no other sound like a 427FE on full song. A stroked 351w does sound differnt but a lot lighter. It needed a lot of work for crank clearances to get it to 427 I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    I’m guessing you’re not seeing much change from £20k these days on a sideoiler? .
    Easily £20k I'd have thought - a well built 427 centre oiler has got to be north of £15k now. It's quite a premium over a built 428 (ironically I could have had one recently for $8k plus import & shipping, sigh!).. 427 s/o's are for the ali body club I reckon.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

If I remember correctly, Pete Knight will do you one for around £32k plus VAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Brave man Chris,
    one of the Essex group members used to own a ram with a bored and stroked 351 which took it to 427. An absolute beast of a thing (625 BHP) and without doubt the quickest thing I’ve ever been in, however at 4-8 Mpg and brutal....well....everything, it wasn’t a car you’d enjoy taking any distance......(having said that, if the car, P2 COB, ever comes on the market, I’d have a job not buying it) my mildly tuned 302 in my Hawk is an absolute peach, quick enough for me, smooth (fairly) quiet and not ridiculously thirsty, I’d happily drive it anywhere.
    Horses for courses....
    Simon
    I absolutely love it! Have owned the engine since the early eighties and bought the Dax to go with the FE, not the other way around! I used to race it. We have a lot of history together and had some amazing and some frustrating times!!! They are a real beast. I cannot imagine what it was like getting in to a cobra in 1965. Compared to what was around then they were rockets! They are still quick enough now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    If I remember correctly, Pete Knight will do you one for around £32k plus VAT!!
    I had a very short conversation with Peter re building a 428, let alone a 427 s/o .. one day I should work out just how much I "saved" sourcing the parts and going via Clive. Maybe not today, though.

Funnily enough, I too owned the FE before the Dax.. now, where's Kevin to say "Should have got a Crendon" when I need him!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast